"Pitcairn Island" Pitcairn Island by nancyw
Pitcairn Island Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 24 photos
Another stop on the around-the-world cruise was Pitcairn Island. The island is tiny, but famous because it is home to the descendants of Fletcher Christian and other mutineers from the "Bounty".
Because the island has a very rugged coast, without docking facilities that could accommodate the ship's tenders, we couldn't go on the island. Instead, the vast majority of the islanders used longboats to come out and board the ship.
They spent the day posing for photos and selling their wares - it seemed everyone wanted Pitcairn stamps and t-shirts.
While I'm glad I had the chance to meet Fletcher Christian's descendants and talk about what daily life is like on a tiny island in the middle of the South Pacific, I wouldn't recommend it as a destination. Other than the few cruise ships which stop there (very rarely), there are no commercial options for getting to the island.
nancyw's Related Pages
Pitcairn Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pitcairn Island BOUNTY MUTINEERs"
- "The Holy Grail of the travellers"
- "Pitcairn Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pitcairn Island
- Transportation in Pitcairn Island
- Shopping in Pitcairn Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pitcairn Island
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Pitcairn Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pitcairn Island
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Madrid Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Rarotonga Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Orlando Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Wilaya de Fes Intro, 1 review, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Agra Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Manila Intro, 3 photos