"Portuguese City of Mazagan" Top 5 Page for this destination El Jadida by brancolini
El Jadida Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 127 photos
The Portuguese fortification of Mazagan, now part of the city of El Jadida, 90-km southwest of Casablanca, was built as a fortified colony on the Atlantic coast in the early 16th century. It was taken over by the Moroccans in 1769. The fortification with its bastions and ramparts is an early example of Renaissance military design. The surviving Portuguese buildings include the cistern and the Church of the Assumption, built in the Manueline style of late Gothic architecture. The Portuguese City of Mazagan - one of the early settlements of the Portuguese explorers in West Africa on the route to India - is an outstanding example of the interchange of influences between European and Moroccan cultures, well reflected in architecture, technology, and town planning.
brancolini's Related Pages
El Jadida Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "El Jadida / Mazagão / Mogador"
- "The New"
- "Portuguese City of Mazagan"
- "Historic and new El Jadida beside the sea"
- "Pleasant seaside town"
- "El Jadida, Morocco."
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Jadida
- Hotels in El Jadida
- Transportation in El Jadida
- Restaurants in El Jadida
- Warnings and Dangers in El Jadida
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Jadida
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to El Jadida?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Jadida
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 22 reviews, 19 photos
- Kruger National Park 5 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mindelo Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ilha de Santo Antão Intro, 1 review, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Portalegre 2 reviews, 4 photos
- London 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Zagora 1 review, 4 photos
- Sines 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Morocco Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
No friends yet.