"Santorini - An Island Paradise you want to visit!" Santorini Island by dlytle
Santorini Island Travel Guide: 1,604 reviews and 5,124 photos
Everyone talks about going on a cruise to the Greek Isles. Why?
Well, Santorini is a mighty good reason as far as I am concerned!
The present island of Thira has had a violent and dramatic history. The island is at the cusp of two tectonically active plates. When these two plates move, earthquakes and eruptions are generated The gigantic eruption in 1625 B.C. caused the deaths of all of the islands inhabitants resulting in the island remaining uninhabited for 300 years. This eruption also caused the destruction of the ancient Minoan Civilization. A 650 foot tall (200 m) tidal wave (tsunami) from the eruption of Thira reached as far as the coast of Crete. The volcano’s blast was heard in the Scandinavian countries and Asia Minor while volcanic ash from this eruption has been found in California, Greenland and Ireland.
Many earthquakes followed that same year, which caused the 3,000 foot crater to collapse inwards and break the central and western parts of the island in 5 different pieces allowing water to fill in and create the present day Caldera.
Santorini now has a crescent shape surrounding the black volcanic islands lying in the bay. What was once the island of Thira sank to the bottom of the caldera in the apocalyptic explosion in 1625 B.C. Today’s lagoon-like caldera measures 32 square miles and is up to 1,300 feet (400 m) deep. In the center of the caldera are Palea Kameni and Nea Kameni.
The image most widely associated with Santorini is the cliff-hanging, white-colored town of Oia. Oia hosts the most magnificent views on Santorini. One can take a cable car from the harbour up to the town or walk the 556 steps or take a mule ride up those same steps.
This is a fabulous place that you simply must visit as soon as possible. It is also the most sought after marriage and honeymoon location in the world.
dlytle's Related Pages
Santorini Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awarded FIRST Most Beautiful Island for 2011!"
- "SMALL ISLAND - BIG WOW !!!!"
- "Cycladean Splendour"
- "Sunshine and Sunset in Santorini"
- "The spirit of Love!"
- "Santorini – A photographer’s dream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santorini Island
- Hotels in Santorini Island
- Transportation in Santorini Island
- Nightlife in Santorini Island
- Restaurants in Santorini Island
- Shopping in Santorini Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Santorini Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santorini Island
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Santorini Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santorini Island
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 46 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maui Intro, 41 reviews, 42 photos
- Granada Intro, 38 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tangier Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Curaçao Intro, 26 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Ronda Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos
- Lucerne Intro, 14 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sagres Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Santorini Island hotel reviews
- Anastasis Apartments
- 633 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Argo Hotel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- El Greco Hotel and Apartments Santorini
- 455 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Sun Rocks Traditional Residences Santorini
- 202 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- Cliff Side Suites
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Aegean Plaza Hotel
- 168 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Gardenia Hotel Santorini
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2013
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 17, 2013
- Hotel Mathios Village
- 359 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013
- Panorama Hotel
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Theoxenia Hotel Santorini
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Astarte Suites
- 135 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Oia Youth Hostel
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Drossos Hotel
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Melina Hotel
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013