"Chiang Mai" Top 5 Page for this destination Chiang Mai by SumTingWong

Chiang Mai Travel Guide: 1,869 reviews and 4,672 photos

The Beauties of Chiang Mai Province

Smoke from inscents swirl around the nose, travel through the body until it reaches the depths of the heart. The chanting of monks can be heard in the distance. Bells from the monasteries chime in the light wind. Monks in bright orange robes walk the streets in-between the glorious wats, decorated with gold leaf to the precision of a pinpoint. Sparkling green rice patties shine as far as the eye can see. Cows graze as farmers with pointed sun hats (ngop) lay seeds so their crops may grow. On rural streets, children ride their bicycles, laughter can be heard for miles. A basket weaver works under the bright sun, as the large rolling mountains control the background. Local villagers play the game of ta khlong, as they spin, flip, and kick a straw ball over a net. A grandmother picks sacred leaves for the Buddha day ceremony. Flying lanterns light up the night sky as children run around under them. Candles burn down as the monks meditate through the long hours of the night. Everyone is awoken with the sound of the gongs and the national anthem.

Welcome to my Chiang Mai!

My current home is right outside Chiang Mai, in an area called Mae On. My village's real and full name is: Banonluaionnuemaeonsankamphaengchangwatchiangmaibprathetthai. I live in a small town amidst the rice patties and mountains of Chiang Mai.

• Pros:Many Wats, Nice People, Amazing Northern Thailand
  • Intro Updated Jun 25, 2003

• Oct 9, 2010 at 6:56 PM

The sex trade workers are endemically infected with HPV and HSV. A condom does not protect you from either. 3 common strains of HPV is the cause of 97% of cervical cancer and an increasing cause of throat cancer. Think about it.

• Jun 25, 2008 at 6:24 AM

the Thai toilet tip is the best tip I have ever read! loved it, both really humerous and really informative!

• a60's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2007 at 7:00 PM

Your pages are fantastic - I can't wait for my holiday next year!

• Nov 1, 2007 at 9:18 AM

My elephant riding experience in Thailand was great. The trainers seemed to treat their elephants well, they did not appear to have been mistreated. I trust that this is a way to save the animals and a way for families to earn a living.

• Dec 5, 2006 at 12:47 AM

I was wondering how much dammage is done by traffic pollution. Stunted growth, disease and brain dammage. Maybe more than opium?

• dimanche's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2005 at 7:20 AM

Hi, your local custom tips are so helpful! now i know what to looks out for when i go there in 2 weeks time! cheers! :D

• Ujamaflip's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2004 at 12:22 PM

Hi Mateo, Such fantastic tips, really interesting topics, Thanks! Charlie

• manjacat's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2004 at 9:37 AM

I visited Chiang Mai last year and I loved it! Wanted to go again this year but time doesn't permit. I stayed at Tamaring Village and it was fantastic. I just love Thailand =)

• gregoryr1m's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2004 at 7:00 PM

Mateo, I've told you this before but you do have a great eye for photographing people, especially children.

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2004 at 11:00 PM

Mateo, some great pics, I revisit your pages again and again.

SumTingWong

“"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Gandhi”

Badges & Stats in Chiang Mai

Have you been to Chiang Mai?

Latest Activity in Chiang Mai