"GRAD NIS" Top 5 Page for this destination Nis by Drphoto
Nis Travel Guide: 181 reviews and 459 photos
Osmanlian Turks have carried out unseen brutalities, and indeed bestialities, upon Serbian population. One of the more common penalties for Serbs was impalement on stake.
The castle of Cegar (or Cele kula, as the Turks preffered to call it, implying that its building blocks were bald heads or sculls) in Nis is a unique monument in the world. It was built by the Turks into which they inbuilt the sculls of the Serb commander Sindelic and his heroes with the intention of frightening the Serb population. The message it was intended to convey (in Turkish mentality) was: to herald to all the Serbs who decide to stand in the way of Osmanlian Empire's interests (Islam) will have premature deaths, like the Serbs of Cegar.
- Cons:No !!!
Visit Lapidarium. It is a permanent open-air exhibition of antique and epigraph stone monuments, sculptures, tombstones... more travel advice
Drphoto's Related Pages
Nis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "N I Š"
- "Nis - Serbian metropolis on the Balkan trade roads"
- "Home is where the heart is"
- "A Foray into Serbia"
- "GRAD NIS"
- "A peaceful town"
- "Naissus - The Town of Nymphs"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nis
- Hotels in Nis
- Transportation in Nis
- Nightlife in Nis
- Restaurants in Nis
- Shopping in Nis
- Warnings and Dangers in Nis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nis
- 17 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Nis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nis
Photos in NisSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Republic of Montenegro Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zrenjanin Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nis Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Fruska Gora Nacionalni Park Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos
- Tara Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos
- Republic of Serbia Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Former Republic of Serbia and Montenegro Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
- Novi Sad Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Vlasinsko Jezero Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos