"Five Continents and counting..." daryleann's Profile

Ireland or else!

My husband wants to visit Ireland. We have been to the exotic places that I want and now it is his turn. Since I have kissed the Blarney Stone - altho 37 years ago, I want to also see some of N. Ireland and perhaps some more of Scotland.
So - do we use a tour? Do we try to rent a car and travel on our own? There are good things about both options. Since we managed to travel all over S.E. Asia on our own, not being able to read most signs, I am certain we won't have too many problems. But driving those narrow roads - on the left...
Information about these options is what I hope to gain from this experience. Please let me hear from you if you have some good advice, especially concerning driving a rental car in Ireland.

6 years and several surgeries later...

Wow! Can't believe I haven't written anything for 6 years! We have either been traveling - which means I am surfing other people's reports, reviews and suggestions - or I have been recovering from some surgery or other (back, knee, hip) that have meant no long term sitting!
Now that I am 'back in the saddle' I hope to catch up on some of this. I do SO love to read others' comments, so I guess I can impart some of my wisdom.
We managed to get to Ireland, after canceling one trip as I got an asthma attack days before we left. We took the easy way out - Trafalgar. Went to Wales and Ire,and then another one to Scotland - back to back. That is a lot of fast moving, folks! I'm not sure I like it. Even though we picked trips that had 2 nite stays, it meant in reality that we arrived late afternoon , then stayed in hotel for 2 nites, touring somewhere the day in between, then leaving early next morn. That meant no real 'down' time, and as we age, it gets harder and harder to travel like this. Although I hate to waste time when I am on a trip, some rest is needed... if only to stop and enjoy what we came all that way to see!
I will try to fill in some travel pages over the next few weeks. It's summer and I am not an outdoor person if it is too hot... which it definitely is now!

• Intro Updated Aug 5, 2009

• kahnjetta's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Happy Birthday, have a great day:)

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• etfromnc's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Happy birthday! VT is much more fun if you give as well as take.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2007 at 4:08 AM

Hi how did you get on with the Blarney stone. no way i was kissing it when i was there!! but i had a great time driving around ireland in our rental car. roads were quiet and fine.I see uve been so many exciting spots but no tips or photos for us to see!

• FlyingShanice's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2004 at 1:38 AM

happy happy birthday :D

• Mar 8, 2004 at 11:04 PM

Happy Birthday to you and many happy returns of the day. Enjoy your special day :-)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
daryleann's Profile Photo

daryleann

“If I haven't been there, I want to go!”

Ranked Member