"Zaventem, the place where I was born and live" Zaventem by RENE_CARDOEN
Zaventem Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 38 photos
Before telling something about Zaventem, I have to go 400 years back in history and tell about the famous Flemish portrait-painter, Antony Van Dyck and his relationship to this small municipality at the north east of Brussels, Belgium’s capital.
Antony Van Dyck was born in Antwerp in 1599. Still a boy he became a pupil of Rubens, who was back in Antwerp from Italy.
Antony got his mastership at the age of 17.
Immediately Rubens took him into his service, because of his great talent,
especially as a portrait painter.
Four years later Van Dyck left Antwerp to start
an international career, working in England and in Italy.
For about ten years he was one of the court painters of Charles I,
King of Great Britain.
Van Dyck painted more than 800 portraits and made many drawings for engravings.
Royal or aristocratic people, diplomats, artists ... were his models.
The master died in London in 1641 and was buried in its Saint Paul's Cathedral.
Several Antwerp museums and churches, for instance Rubens' House,
the Museum of Fine Arts, Rockox' House, Saint Paul's church ...
possess paintings and drawings by Antony Van Dyck.
On his way from Antwerp to Italy, where he intended to fulfil his talent, Antony Van Dyck stays a short time in Zaventem village. Of course there lived a beautiful young lady, Isabella Van Ophem, daughter of bailiff, Maarten Van Ophem and he fell in love with her. During his stay in Zaventem he realized a painting for the local church named “Saint Martin sharing his cape with the poor”
This painting is still exhibited in the Sint-Martinus church of Zaventem.
The place where Van Dyck made his masterpiece was the “Wijngaard” house, which is the tall house on the right, built with the local sandstone and a typical crow-stepped gable.
The most recent development of office buildings is going on at the ancient site of the “Tannerie de Saventhem”. The site... more travel advice
The Mariadal castle was built on the foundations of an ancient farmstead (15th century). In 1896 baron Emile de Munck... more travel advice
RENE_CARDOEN's Related Pages
Zaventem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zaventem, the place where I was born and live"
- "Leaving from Zaventem to Mexico"
- "Time to kill in the airport?"
- "Home of Brussels International Airport"
- "IMPREXXION: BRUSSELS"
- "Much more than an airport."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zaventem
- Hotels in Zaventem
- Transportation in Zaventem
- Restaurants in Zaventem
- Shopping in Zaventem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zaventem
- 16 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Zaventem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zaventem
Photos in ZaventemSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Hungary Intro, 68 reviews, 69 photos
- Portugal Intro, 52 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Zealand Intro, 45 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Egypt Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zaventem Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Germany Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Spain Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Groningen Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Austria Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos