"Sanddunes and beaches" Hatteras Island by broeselhai
Hatteras Island Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 65 photos
If you are a surfer (waverider) in the Virginia, NorthCarolina region, this is the place to go.
From KityHawk drive the only road to the south and as soon as you have reached the area of the "Pea Island National Wildlife Refugee" (after you have crossed the bridge to the next island) just park your car along the road, and climb the dune to check the waves or hide out with your girlfriend, get naked and enjoy yourselves :)
If you are new to the region and want to do some surfing, try driving further south, till you reach villages again (.. why would somebody call a village "Waves" if there would not be some of them) and try stopping at the several surfshops for detailed infos where the best spots are.
If you only have time for a short visit of the OuterBanks, don´t miss the "Jockey´s Ridge State Park" in NegsHead (or was is still KittyHawk?? Can´t remember, but it´s further south past the "WrightBrothersMemorial").
You would not belive it, if you have not seen it, that there are sanddunes like in SaudiArabia in NorthCarolina.
Only thing missing are the camels.
And if you are a kite-flyer this is definitely the place to go.
Climb one of the dunes, and join the other kite-flyers.
(Greetings to Terry)
Or try a hangglider-lesson.
A detailed map of the OuterBanks, NC can be found here:
The ride from Richmond to KittyHawk is going to take you 3 houres.
- Pros:... there´s so much beach
- Cons:... Pickup-drivers directly at the shore next to the towns
- In a nutshell:... the fun is over when the hurricanes apear!
broeselhai's Related Pages
Hatteras Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Outer Banks of North Carolina"
- "Graveyard of the Atlantic"
- "Motorcycle Trip"
- "Sanddunes and beaches"
- "Hatteras Island - no US beyond that Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hatteras Island
- Hotels in Hatteras Island
- Nightlife in Hatteras Island
- Restaurants in Hatteras Island
- Shopping in Hatteras Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Hatteras Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hatteras Island
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Hatteras Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hatteras Island
Photos in Hatteras IslandSee All Photos (3)
Top 5 Pages
- Curitiba Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Richmond Intro, 3 photos
- Virginia Beach Intro, 3 photos
- Hatteras Island Intro, 3 photos
- Soorts-Hossegor Intro, 3 photos
No friends yet.