"Portland, an great liveable city" Top 5 Page for this destination Portland by Shaft28

Portland Travel Guide: 1,408 reviews and 2,755 photos

What is not to like?

For a long time I pondered what to write about on my Portland page, about this fine city. And today it came to me. Portland rules. I know this is very 70' elementary school style, but it just works.
Some stats on the Rose City:
Tops the charts for the most book stores per capita in the world;
America's fittest city (although some of those surveys need to measure the waistlines here, all that good beer...);
Normally #1 for most outdoor activities;
Most brew pubs in the Americas (#2 worldwide);
One of the best bike cities in the US;
Undeniable leader in number of parks and size of park space in the US;
Largest Rose Garden on the continent;
And more trees that Paul Bunyun could ever get to - and that means fresh air.

Bridgetown, Stumptown, PDX, City of Roses...

Also in my opinion Portland is one of the dog friendliest cities; has less traffic and tourism than any of the other major West Coast cities (very important!), has great arts/theatre and a world class symphony.
Summers are amazing with moderate upper 70's lower 80's average temp and winter's average in the high 40's. We do get our share of gray days and rain, but not as much as you think. (basically Portlander's love it here so much they lie about the rain to keep others away!) Rain in the Northwest is typically drizzle and light showers, nothing like the downpours in the South. But we love it here, keeps everything green and downtown clean.
Oh, and that whole flannel wearing thing is in Washington, not here...
Portland is also one of the most progressive cities for limiting growth and tries to maintain that small town feel with the big city amenities.
Not to mention the people here are just really nice.
The only downside I can think of is the nightlife lacks a bit as this town goes home early. And no huge movie theatre with a massive screen and digital sound or a hockey/baseball team. Ah well, nothing is perfect.
Back on the positive side, did I mention no sales tax? Oh yeah.
Plus some amazing restaurants - everywhere! Always new places opening up and Portland's nightlife and restaurants tend to blur into one another. More so than any city I know. Pubs, lounges, fancy dining with a hot bar - eat, drink and be happy here.

Mt Hood and Mt St Helens lay a beautiful backdrop

Portland has the advantage of all the local parks for hiking and outdoors activities, but also is 20 minutes from windsurfing on the Columbia River (top spot in the world), an hour from Mt. Hood (year-round skiing), 45 minutes from a trail of waterfalls, and just over an hour to the beautiful cost with more/largest monoliths adorning the beaches than you can count.
Portland is pretty conscious of the people who live here with a law that requires a park to be within 10 minutes walking distance from any city dwellers home, fresh drinking water on many downtown corners, and one of the largest river side parks smack downtown for every festival imaginable (the Willamette).

This town is just amazing and I am very proud to call it home.

• Pros:See above
  • Cons:no dome movie theater with digital surround sound
  • In a nutshell:Green, Happy, Healthy, Tons to do and close by to more!
  • Last visit to Portland: May 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 28, 2006

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Glad you liked it, but this year Greek Cusina is now closed. katu.com/news/local/80633177...

• funnybeee's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2006 at 2:49 AM

I do agree: Portland freakin' rules... I fell in love with it the first time I set foot in the ciy of roses only a couple of months ago. Thank you for your excellent tips! Beee :) ps: ever been to Last Thursdat's in the Alberta district?

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2006 at 12:41 PM

Excellent page!! I just returned from my 2 trip in the last few months. I love Washington Park, there is so much to do there. On my next trip, I plan to drive the coast!!

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2006 at 7:08 PM

Very nice pictures. I will be here with my son over Columbus weekend. Any kid friendly tips you can pass my way would be helpful.

• etfromnc's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2006 at 10:41 AM

I did pass on the "end of the trail" museum. Thanks! I sincerely wish that I had had a chance to read your page before my visit.

• thecatsmeow's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2006 at 8:37 AM

Great Portland page. An interesting perspective about the flannel wearing thing. I have lived in both states and I believe they are about equal in plaid. :) Small town tux's . :) Now its hoodies even in the small towns. :) Hello from Washougal. =^oo^=

• va8eha's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2006 at 9:11 PM

Great - what happens if you move from Ca?! I'm starting to think the birds feel the same way ;-) Thx for the great tips! I'll have to check them out slowly. Totally agree about Cannon Beach - words cannot do the OR coast justice!

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2004 at 2:20 PM

The Blue's Festival ,Cinco de Mayo, and 4th of July fireworks sound great! The Columbia River Gorge Scenic Highway and Cannon beach outing sounds wonderful. Just say no to California? Interesting tip. Too many wonderful tips to comment on, great job.

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2004 at 5:17 PM

It's great to see someone love their hometown. Portland is a great city.

• spunkygirl60637's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2004 at 1:41 PM

Your comments are on point; however, since I live in BOSTON, I have to say that I LOVE driving in Portland. The drivers (in PDX) are MUCH more civilized than in Beantown!!!!

Shaft28 Used To Live Here!

Shaft28

“Have toddler, no travel.”

Badges & Stats in Portland

Have you been to Portland?

Latest Activity in Portland