"Born, raised...yeah I know the way" Top 5 Page for this destination San Jose by Shaft28

San Jose Travel Guide: 376 reviews and 665 photos

Born and raised...
I was born in Alexian Brother's Hospital in San Jose in 1971 and lived there until I was 16, commuted there from Gilroy at ages 16 to 24, then moved back from 24-29 in 2001.
San Jose is where I went to grade school through college and all my jobs were there (or started there). I even lost my virginity on Cherry Ave in San Jose...I know TMI but I'm just saying I have some strong ties to the community.
San Jose is a little boring, but it makes up for it with the quality of people who live there. I have made lifelong friends that all grew up in SJ that I will never duplicate anywhere else I go in the world.
Although Imany of my friends have moved outside of SJ - we still manage to meet there once a year and enjoy some of the good restaurants and usually very nice weather. I truly miss the Sharks hockey games.
I always used to describe to people the benefit of San Jose is that it is close to everything. Mountains (Tahoe), the beach (Santa Cruz), Monterey/Carmel and San Francisco. Just no real reason to be in San Jose, except work and beer with friends. But that works.
No national monuments, not any particular outstanding parks that are a must see, all the museums are fine (but not great- with the exception of the Rosicrucian which sucks), no huge draw for tourists. People can argue about it, but there is not a real tourism industry there or "must see" icon of any sort.
Now, I can steer you to some good spots, not like SJ sucks like anywhere in the central valley (Fresno/Bakersfield); it is just not very exciting like it's little sister to the north - San Francisco.
San Jose just needs to improves it's image.

• Pros:close to everything, Sharks Hockey, my buddies
  • Cons:lacks character, chain restaraunts everywhere, strip malls, traffic
  • In a nutshell:San Jose is a financial juggernot with an image problem.
  • Last visit to San Jose: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated May 29, 2008

Shaft28 Used To Live Here!

Shaft28

“Have toddler, no travel.”

Badges & Stats in San Jose

Have you been to San Jose?

Photos in San Jose