"Born, raised...yeah I know the way" Top 5 Page for this destination San Jose by Shaft28
San Jose Travel Guide: 382 reviews and 671 photos
Born and raised...
I was born in Alexian Brother's Hospital in San Jose in 1971 and lived there until I was 16, commuted there from Gilroy at ages 16 to 24, then moved back from 24-29 in 2001.
San Jose is where I went to grade school through college and all my jobs were there (or started there). I even lost my virginity on Cherry Ave in San Jose...I know TMI but I'm just saying I have some strong ties to the community.
San Jose is a little boring, but it makes up for it with the quality of people who live there. I have made lifelong friends that all grew up in SJ that I will never duplicate anywhere else I go in the world.
Although Imany of my friends have moved outside of SJ - we still manage to meet there once a year and enjoy some of the good restaurants and usually very nice weather. I truly miss the Sharks hockey games.
I always used to describe to people the benefit of San Jose is that it is close to everything. Mountains (Tahoe), the beach (Santa Cruz), Monterey/Carmel and San Francisco. Just no real reason to be in San Jose, except work and beer with friends. But that works.
No national monuments, not any particular outstanding parks that are a must see, all the museums are fine (but not great- with the exception of the Rosicrucian which sucks), no huge draw for tourists. People can argue about it, but there is not a real tourism industry there or "must see" icon of any sort.
Now, I can steer you to some good spots, not like SJ sucks like anywhere in the central valley (Fresno/Bakersfield); it is just not very exciting like it's little sister to the north - San Francisco.
San Jose just needs to improves it's image.
- Pros:close to everything, Sharks Hockey, my buddies
- Cons:lacks character, chain restaraunts everywhere, strip malls, traffic
- In a nutshell:San Jose is a financial juggernot with an image problem.
One thing I try to do when I go back to my hometown is catch a movie. Honestly there is no place on the planet that has... more travel advice
Gordon Biersch is one of the best brewerys around, their martzen beer is spectacular. And here you get all the benefits... more travel advice
Shaft28's Related Pages
San Jose Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Jose - Silicon Valley"
- "The 411 on San Jose"
- "North on Hwy 1, across Hwy 156, then up 101..."
- "California's Original Capital City: San Jose!"
- "Born, raised...yeah I know the way"
- "Heart of Silicon Valley... San Jose"
- "~San Jose~"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Jose
- Hotels in San Jose
- Transportation in San Jose
- Nightlife in San Jose
- Restaurants in San Jose
- Shopping in San Jose
- Warnings and Dangers in San Jose
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Jose
- 18 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to San Jose?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Jose
- Posted in Travel Netherlands Forum "Re: Thinking about moving family..."
- updated a San Jose Travel Page "Born, raised...yeah I know the way"
- Wrote a Review Century Dome Theaters about Museums / Theaters in San Jose Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "San Jose Giants, great minor league ball"
- Commented on one of cwest03's San Jose travel pages
Photos in San JoseSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portland Intro, 75 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Miami Beach Intro, 34 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Jose Intro, 18 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Iberia Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos
- Seaside Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 8 reviews, 3 photos
- New York City Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Cannon Beach Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Puerto Rico Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Paris Intro, 1 review, 4 photos