"Backpacking Mauritius" Mauritius by AndreSTGT
Mauritius Travel Guide: 1,392 reviews and 3,649 photos
Mauritius - Pearl of the Indian ocean!
This is probably what most people think when they hear the name. Beautiful beaches, romantic jungle canyons...etc.
These preconceptions are wrong. The beaches are nothing special (ok, i'm spoilt), deforestation has had a large impact on the island and there's heavy traffic on many roads and streets leading through non-descript towns.
So why is Mauritius still a great and interesting place to visit?
The main reason is the cultural diversity of its inhabitants. A fascinating mix of Indian, Creole, Chinese and European traditions which can be seen and experienced in architecture, food and religion.
And despite some negative aspects that i've stated above, the island is over all very pleasant and there are some real gems to discover, they're just not as easy to find as on other tropical islands.
Another plus is that Mauritius is probably the only island in the region that is affordable to all budgets (if you "go local").
Even though Mauritius is a well known beach destination, most resorts (even Grand Baie, the biggest one) are pleasant and low key, there are no huge condominium blocks or overcrowded beaches and this certainly adds greatly to the appeal of the island.
Tamarin Falls, Black river canyon, Mon Choisy plage, Port Louis
Central towns (heavy traffic, pollution)
French and English are both spoken and understood
Predominantly package tourists, mostly French, some Germans, very few Brits and Scandinavians. No backpackers!
Budget rooms : 7-10 €
Cigarettes : 1,80 €
Soft drinks : 0.7 € (cheap bar), 1.50€ (expensive bar)
Restaurants : mains 5-15 €
bus tickets : not more than 80c
- Pros:pleasant atmosphere, interesting mix of cultures, affordable
- Cons:overpopulated, sugar cane monoculture
- In a nutshell:Not the tropical paradise one might expect, still a good place for both, beach and cultural holidays
This is my favorite place on the island. A magnificent series of cascades plunging into gorgeous deep pools. Not too... more travel advice
If there is one picture-perfect beach on the island, this is it! The problem is that it is not very suitable for... more travel advice
AndreSTGT's Related Pages
Mauritius Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- " MAURITIUS PARADISE ON EARTH "
- "Holiday paradise meets ecological nightmare"
- "Canuckmike's Trip to Mauritius"
- "Ile Maurice"
- "DEEP BLUE SOMETHING... THE PARADISE DIARIES"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mauritius
- Hotels in Mauritius
- Transportation in Mauritius
- Nightlife in Mauritius
- Restaurants in Mauritius
- Shopping in Mauritius
- Warnings and Dangers in Mauritius
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mauritius
- 19 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Mauritius?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mauritius
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 49 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Laos Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 39 reviews, 35 photos
- Burma Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambodia Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 32 reviews, 28 photos
- Venezuela Intro, 23 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos, 4 travelogues
No friends yet.