"Khop jai lai lai Laos" Laos by AndreSTGT
Laos Travel Guide: 3,603 reviews and 8,838 photos
I spent just over three weeks in Laos crossing the border at Huay Xay in the north and leaving the country near Pakse in the south.
I visited Luang Nam Tha, Muang Sing, Udomxay, Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng, Vientiane, Savannakhet, the Bolaven plateau, Champasak and Si Phan Don.
I traveled on my own, but for most of the trip i had great company of other travelers.
Laos is a beautiful country with friendly people who still lead very simple lives. Even in provincial capitals electricity works only a few hours a day and the infrastructure is, esp. in the north, very underdeveloped.
With the exception of the old royal town of Luang Prabang, there are not too many cultural sights in the country (compared to its neighbors), but it's a fantastic place to enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and the relatively unspoilt nature.
In spite of the weak infrastructure it's very easy to travel around Laos, if you don't expect a great deal of comfort. The country is very safe and theft and scams are still rare, this might change, however, with the increasing tourism.
Some places in Laos are already quite touristy, which has less to do with the actual number of tourists, but rather with the problem that they are very concentrated in the small Laotian villages.
Laos is a very cheap country to travel in. Depending on the region, a basic, but usually tidy room costs between 1-5 $ and for public transport, travelers don't have to pay more than locals who earn 20$ a month.
Exchange rate : 1Euro = 8.000 kip
- Pros:Beautiful nature, tranquility, stepping back in time
- Cons:no nightlife, slash-and-burn agriculture
- In a nutshell:Lai Lai Lai... Lai La La La... Lai Lai Lai... Lai Lai Lai...
Lao cuisine is, with the exception of Vientiane and Luang Prabang, nothing to write home about. High quality Lao food,... more travel advice
The second largest town in Laos is a very charming, sleepy provincial town with crumbling French colonial houses under... more travel advice
AndreSTGT's Related Pages
Laos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One Can Never Get Enough of Laos"
- "Tread Softly: Laos"
- "A rather virgin country"
- "Lao People Democratic Republic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Laos
- Hotels in Laos
- Transportation in Laos
- Nightlife in Laos
- Restaurants in Laos
- Shopping in Laos
- Warnings and Dangers in Laos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Laos
- 47 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Laos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laos
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 49 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Laos Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 39 reviews, 35 photos
- Burma Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambodia Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 32 reviews, 28 photos
- Venezuela Intro, 23 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos, 4 travelogues
No friends yet.
Top Laos hotels
- Vientiane Hotels
- 757 Reviews - 1703 Photos
- Pakse Hotels
- 63 Reviews - 174 Photos
- Vang Vieng Hotels
- 166 Reviews - 336 Photos
- Ban Pak-Ou Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 20 Photos
- Savannakhet Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 46 Photos
- Don Khong Hotels
- 29 Reviews - 95 Photos
- Xam Nua Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 20 Photos
- Muang Sing Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 50 Photos
- Muang Pak-Lay Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 10 Photos
- Muang Pakbeng Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 30 Photos
- Muang Kenthao Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Muang Hongsa Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Luang Prabang Hotels
- 1007 Reviews - 2509 Photos
- Louang Namtha Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 43 Photos
- Ban Tha Khek Hotels
- See nearby hotels