"Ancient temples and smiling Khmers" Cambodia by AndreSTGT
Cambodia Travel Guide: 9,220 reviews and 26,462 photos
Note : This introduction and most of my tips were written in the summer of 2000 when Cambodia only started to become one of South-East Asia's hottest destinations and when it was still possible to visit Angkor with hardly a soul in sight. This means that some of my off-the-beaten path tips might not be so off-the-beaten track anymore and some road journeys might be more comfortable in the meantime. -------------------------------------------------
Even though the country does not possess the diversity of Vietnam or tropical paradises like Thailand, Cambodia has so far been my most fascinating destination in South-East Asia.
The country is very poor and the tourist industry is still in its infancy.
The infrastructure defies description and after two weeks on the road i didn' t have a single bone in my body that didn't ache.
But it is easy to forget the pain when you're in a country where you can still experience real adventures. And apart from that, the Khmers confront the few tourists with an incredible cordiality, which makes you forget that traveling in Cambodia is still risky.
The country's highlight is without a doubt Angkor, one of the most impressive sights in the whole world. But this does't mean that the rest of the country should be overlooked.
The prices for accommodation in Cambodia are roughly similar to those in Thailand, even though there are no dirt cheap rooms. Most of the guesthouses charge around 5$ and are usually good value.
- Pros:The Khmer people and, of course, Angkor
- Cons:The roads were built in hell!
- In a nutshell:A fascinating country i immediately fell in love with.
There is now (2005) an alternative to the ferry between Sihanoukville and the Thai border. A new highway has been built... more travel advice
Khmer food resembles Thai food, just less spicy and generally less creative in the use of spices. It is not as... more travel advice
AndreSTGT's Related Pages
Cambodia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MORE THAN JUST THE ANGKOR TEMPLES"
- "The country of Angkor"
- "Angkor Archeological Park, Cambodia"
- "Sharrie's Cambodia Dignity"
- "Cambodia 2002"
- "Ancient temples and smiling Khmers"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cambodia
- Hotels in Cambodia
- Transportation in Cambodia
- Nightlife in Cambodia
- Restaurants in Cambodia
- Shopping in Cambodia
- Warnings and Dangers in Cambodia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cambodia
- 35 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Cambodia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cambodia
- Posted in Travel Ozamis City Forum "Re: bus or van from dipolog to..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beng Mealea - the long-lost jungle temple"
- created a Cambodia Travelogue "Beng Mealea - the long-lost jungle temple"
- Wrote a Review Ko kong to Sihanoukville overland in Cambodia Transportation
- Commented on one of lninasia's Cambodia travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 49 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Laos Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 39 reviews, 35 photos
- Cambodia Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- Myanmar (Burma) Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 32 reviews, 28 photos
- Venezuela Intro, 23 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos, 4 travelogues
No friends yet.