Madeira Island Things to Do Tips by AndreSTGT
Madeira Island Things to Do: 343 reviews and 599 photos
Pico do Areiro
With an elevation of 1838m, Pico do Areiro is one of Madeira's highest peaks, and the only one whose summit is accessible by car.
While the lower parts of the island were often overcast when we visited in December, we had beautiful sunshine up there, simply because we were above the clouds. Standing on the summit and looking down on a carpet of white clouds is absolutely awe-inspiring!!!
Cabo Sao Lourenco
The unique landscape of this peninsula is untypically barren for Madeira, but nevertheless extremely beautiful. Red rocks of bizarre shapes, palm trees and the blue ocean.
A two hour walk (return) leads to a fantastic view point on a hill.
Just before the peninsula starts, you will see Prainha, Madeira's only sandy beach, which is actually just a small cove.
Cabo de Sao Lourenco is the western-most point of Madeira.
The narrow old coastal road between Sao Vicente and Porto Moniz is absolutely spectacular with waterfalls plunging down on your car, dark old tunnels and magnificent views behind every bend. Be sure not to miss this fantastic drive, even though the new road that runs parallel is much faster, but mostly through uninspiring tunnels.
Madeira's capital is a pleasant mid-sized city with an attractive historic center and a beautiful harbor promenade.
There are beautiful gardens to visit, an interesting fish and fruit market and the city's location is spectacular, below green mountain ranges.
Porto Moniz is a small harbor town on Madeira's North-Western tip.
The main attraction here are several natural swimming pools that were created through the flow of lava.
Madeira's only official campground is also here.
More Reviews (6)
AndreSTGT's Related Pages
Madeira Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Madeira Island - Sculpted by Gods"
- "Madeira - Small archipelago of volcanic orgin."
- "Madeira: spectacular island of tunnels"
- "ISLAND OF FLOWERS"
- "ilha da madeira"
- "An island of flowers and stunning scenery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madeira Island
- Hotels in Madeira Island
- Transportation in Madeira Island
- Nightlife in Madeira Island
- Restaurants in Madeira Island
- Shopping in Madeira Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Madeira Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Watling Island Hotels
- Paramonga Hotels
- Belleville Hotels
- Martina Franca
- North Canton Hotels
- Provincia de Esmeraldas
Badges & Stats in Madeira Island
- 11 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Madeira Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madeira Island
Photos in Madeira IslandSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 49 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Laos Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 39 reviews, 44 photos
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 39 reviews, 35 photos
- Cambodia Intro, 27 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- Burma Intro, 30 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 32 reviews, 28 photos
- Venezuela Intro, 23 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos, 4 travelogues
No friends yet.