"SILVERTON - COLORADO" Silverton by Martinewezel

Silverton Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 38 photos

The old West!

Originally called Baker's Park, Silverton is the earlyest gold and Silver town in the region.

Few new buildings have been built here since 1910.

Silverton remains a turn-of-the century Victorian scene and is designated a National Historic District.

Just as Ouray, another mine town 24 miles North, the place has an asphalted Main Street and gravel side streets.

Silverton is a great tourist attraction.

• Pros:Back to the wild wild west!
  • Cons:Touristy... of course
  • In a nutshell:This town is simply a must! The best old west town I yet visited
  • Last visit to Silverton: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 23, 2011

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2010 at 12:08 PM

NO WAY you'd get me down that mine tunnel.The train though,that would be a different story. Imagine panning and finding silver and not gold.Thanks for your visit.I didn't see a guide as being necessary.. you can cover more ground on motorbike.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2008 at 10:49 AM

I'm something of a railroad freak, so I'm sure I would have taken a ride on that steam train from Durango to Silverton and back.

• FarmerFun's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2007 at 3:53 AM

I used to find gold after the winter snow dislodged rocks from the mountain. It was always after final snow and before summer tourists picked over it.

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2007 at 6:47 PM

Thanks for the great photos and info on Silverton. We are going there for the HUBB meeting this summer

• Mar 25, 2006 at 7:44 PM

Looks like Silverton might have to be added to my list of places to stop and visit, especially Natilie's. Thanks.

• Nov 13, 2005 at 12:56 PM

Nice page

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2005 at 11:07 AM

Hi Martine, living in both San Francisco and Colorado I always find it ironic that I have to travel 1000 miles east to get to the 'old west"! Glad you enjoyed Silverton.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2005 at 10:46 AM

It is history live, what a splendid place to feel the atmosphere of the Wild West!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2005 at 8:57 AM

Your page brought back good memories of a stop in Silverton in the 1980's. Wish we'd taken the train ourselves. Good information & photos!

• Easty's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2005 at 7:34 PM

Nice picture of the horse carriage. It wasn't there when I visited there in June, a month before you were there. Nice page on Silverton.

Martinewezel

“Enjoy the world today... tomorrow it will be worse!”

Badges & Stats in Silverton

Have you been to Silverton?

Latest Activity in Silverton