"Ouray" Top 5 Page for this destination Ouray by Martinewezel

Ouray Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 100 photos

Switzerland of America?

Located on the way from Telluride to Silverton, along the scenic San Juan Skyway, Ouray is a small community which apparently is referred to as the "Switzerland of America".

Wel, having been to Switzerland several times, I can say that nothing is further from truth.

Ouray has it's own charm and beauty. The Mountains in Switzerland are sharp and frivolous , the ones in Ouray are majestical and spacious.

And what is more... in contrary to some places in Switzerland, the people in Ouray are nice and friendly, unpretentious and honest.

The prices are not exorbitant. We are glad we visited this town last year. Who knows, in a few years it will maybe turn into a second Telluride.

• Pros:The authentic houses, the charming museum
  • Cons:None
  • In a nutshell:A little town to fall in love with.
  • Last visit to Ouray: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 23, 2011

• lisa85202's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Love your tip for Box Canon Falls...I'm from Albuquerque, and I plan on exploring more of Colorado this year...I'm putting this on my list.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2008 at 6:01 AM

Glad you were treated as a normal person at that restaurant, instead of walking wallet. Thanks for providing the link to the website of that museum. I clicked on it, and the museum seems to be run mainly by volunteers -- sounds really interesting.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2008 at 9:12 AM

Hooray for Ouray! My wife wants to head out this way, so thanks for the tips.

• painterdave's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2007 at 9:21 AM

You were lucky to drink that wine and stay alive. Colorado is not the place for good wine.

• FarmerFun's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2007 at 3:27 AM

My 1st trip up the million dollar hwy out of Ouray, I was greeted w/ an artillery piece firing up the road toward the summit. The crew was trying to knock down potential avalanches. I was very nervous when they said 'proceed'

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2006 at 3:37 PM

I enjoyed this town as well. Missed the museum, unfortunately. You are pretty brave to try roadkill wine. :) Tks for visiting my Mt. St. Helens page.

Martinewezel

“Enjoy the world today... tomorrow it will be worse!”

Badges & Stats in Ouray