"DAMME, my favorite!" Top 5 Page for this destination Damme by Martinewezel

Damme Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 290 photos

As a painting...

Damme is a picturesque little medieval town in the Belgian polders, at only 5 milometers from the historical Brugge (Bruges).

Apparently, this town, not larger than one street long, is a place where time stopped.

Don't believe it. It's a tourist town "pure sang"!!!

Almost all lovely, charming old houses are restaurants. Except for a few historical spots, there are just nothing else than restaurants...beautiful, old charming expensive restaurants.

Still, this town exerts an enormus attraction on everyone. The scenery is magnificent and the location of Damme is marvellous. Let me show you some pictures and a few "must sees" as appetizer...

The signboard of Restaurant "Pallieter", a very inviting place, just next to the City Hall in the Kerkstraat.

The visit of the ruin of the old "Onze Lieve Vrouwe" church is free.

Some of the pictures in my tips are taken during winter, and some in Spring. As we liked our first visit, we decided to come back in spring and to take our bike with us. Brugge is only 5 kilometers from Damme, a perfect combination.

• Pros:A warm, welcoming town
  • Cons:No "cons" at all
  • In a nutshell:Make sure you call Damme "a city". The inhabitants are proud of their origins!
  • Last visit to Damme: Feb 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 1, 2007

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2014 at 3:32 AM

Nice tips

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Great idea to go from Damme to Bruges (and back) by bicycle! That bike route by the canal looks really nice.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I have no pictures that can be found-but did go through here in 1981. YOu did a wonderful job of showing this lovely town and the scenery.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2009 at 3:55 PM

I have read before about the expensive food in Restaurants in Belgium tourist areas. What a price you paid, that is expensive for me!

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Hi Martine...your photos and tips here of Damme are marvelous! The reflections of trees along the canal remind me of somewhere else Ive been in your country..Thanks for your visit to my Aosta pages...Yes Id return too someday if I was in the area !! : O }

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2009 at 12:57 AM

looks like a place I would love to visit and then combine with a trip back to Brugge which I love.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2009 at 3:54 AM

Good page. Ciao!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2008 at 3:48 AM

Very picturesque little town, thanks for sharing it with us ;-)

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Damme looks very picturesque in you photos. It must be an interesting town ( or should I say a city?) to visit. Thanks for a nice page.

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2007 at 7:00 PM

140 Euros!! ARRGHH! We will find a cheaper restaurant while we are absorbing the history of Damme. Your pages are building a wonderful collage of Belgium for us. Thank you.

Martinewezel Visits Here Frequently!

Martinewezel

“Enjoy the world today... tomorrow it will be worse!”

Badges & Stats in Damme