"Staufen - Fauststadt im Breisgau" Staufen im Breisgau by Martinewezel
Staufen im Breisgau Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 80 photos
Staufen is a German town, close to the Rhine and the French border. It is rather touristy because of it's small and charming historic center. The main street, showing on the photo is far more nicer than it looks here. Unfortunately we arrived on a rainy day, which is not favorable for taking pictures. The well kept houses are all painted in different fresh colors. There are several shops with hand craft, art and things to make a tourist spend his money.
I think Staufen is worth a short detour in your itinerary. Also it is a nice place to overnight.
Wikipedia page about Staufen im Breisgau: "It is noted in history and culture for its association with Dr Faustus who, according to legend, sold his soul to the Devil at an inn here".
Faust, who lived between 1480 and 1540 was an intellectual who studied astrology, chemistry and phylosophy. He was a doctor and a magician.
We overnighted in the very room where he made a pact with the devil. We took a photo of the sculpture which was made in the walls of his box bed . Very thrilling...
More about the room and the hotel where he stayed until he died, in my tips.
Notice the brush, hidden in the niche above the fountain. Wondering where it is used for.
- Pros:Nice town, good for a stop
- Cons:Don't go on Saturday. All shops close at noon that day.
- In a nutshell:Just another lovely town
We had dinner in the restaurant of the hotel where we overnighted. I felt not at ease to take a photo of this beautiful... more travel advice
In the old center of the town, on the central plaza, close to the city hall, one can find the oldest guesthouse (inn) in... more travel advice
Martinewezel's Related Pages
Staufen im Breisgau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Staufen in Breisgau. Black Forest"
- "Staufen - Fauststadt im Breisgau"
- "A Furry VT Meeting in Staufen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Staufen im Breisgau
- Hotels in Staufen im Breisgau
- Transportation in Staufen im Breisgau
- Nightlife in Staufen im Breisgau
- Restaurants in Staufen im Breisgau
- Shopping in Staufen im Breisgau
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Staufen im Breisgau
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Staufen im Breisgau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Staufen im Breisgau
Photos in Staufen im BreisgauSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Intro, 43 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marne-la-Vallée Intro, 39 reviews, 70 photos
- Key West Intro, 36 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damme Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Valéry-sur-Somme Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos
- Bagnères-de-Bigorre Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 31 photos
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (10)
Latest Staufen im Breisgau hotel reviews
- Fauststube Im LÃ¶wen
- 1 Review & Opinion