"Town at the clearest lake in Europe" Annecy by Martinewezel

Annecy Travel Guide: 219 reviews and 665 photos

A rainy day without sunbeam, a dramatic scenery for poetic language...

O beau lac d'Annecy, bien modeste est ma lyre

Pour moduler le chant que ta splendeur inspire !

Pour vibrer de concert aux murmures des eaux,

Aux souffles des sommets, aux soupirs des coteaux !

La rive du soleil, des monts nus, gris et rudes,

Où le raisin mûrit au pied des altitudes,

La rive où la verdure émaille les hauteurs,

Et les vieux souvenirs qui ravivent les cœurs,

Trouveront-ils jamais, pour chanter leur poème,

Une voix qui s’élève à leur charme suprême !

Leur auréole émet à l’alpestre cité

Un radieux éclat de grâce et de beauté.

Ephise Simond 1895

Wished I could have visited Annecy 100 years ago!

The town is a real beauty, no doubt about it. However, it is ruined by mass tourism. 90% of the charming small houses in the old streets are now cheap restaurants, almost all pizza restaurants. The town is an ants' nest. There are too many people walking around.
The restaurant terraces along the river are way too narrow to put decent tables and chairs and still people are having lunch or dinner there... bothered by other hungry tourists, trying to wriggle themself throug a non existing gap, on their way to a free table further on.
Cozy for someone... the hell for another.

If I would ever come back, I would stay here, in this hotel: L'Impérial Palace. There we took the photo of the lake, at the top of this page. The hotel garden breaths the early 20th century. A place for a poetic mood.

• Pros:The lake
  • Cons:The crowd
  • In a nutshell:An ants' nest in Summer
  • Last visit to Annecy: Aug 2009
  • Intro Updated Jan 12, 2010

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2011 at 11:34 PM

I will be in Annecy in September. Thanks for your tips. I will remember them.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Nice page about a very pretty town. Like the sound of the walking/boat tour you did.

• Apr 21, 2010 at 3:01 PM

many yrs. ago, we had the most delicious "scalloped potato" dish in Annecy.Came in an iron skillet to the table. Is this the same tartiflette that you refer to? I would love to have the recipe.a

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Martine..this looks like a beautiful place to explore..is there more coming soon?Loved the video!!Looks fun!Thanks for dropping by my "second" home..look for more.Ill keep adding pages now.Maybe I can find some WAVE photos for you..I have some somewhere!!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Nice photo! We used to go camping in this area sometimes with our children, when they were still children. I must admit I have never heard of Ephise Simond, but he obviously was very impressed with the lake of Annecy in 1895.

Martinewezel

“Enjoy the world today... tomorrow it will be worse!”

Badges & Stats in Annecy