"La Mongie, village in the bend" Bagnères-de-Bigorre by Martinewezel
Bagnères-de-Bigorre Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 36 photos
Location: the first town , 400m East downhill the Col du Tourmalet, depending from the larger city Bagnères-de-Bigorre in the valley.
This is a typical ski-village with numerous ski lifts. Lots of tourists in winter, few in Summer.
The village is quite artificially built in a bent. Restaurants, hotels, condos and souvenir shops is all what you can expect.
Still, the place is unique for it's scenery.
The view we had over the peaks and the Pyrenean meadows, was really worth the trip. The photo above was made on the balcony of our condo. Check out my hotel tip.
La mongie is a "pastorale zone", which means that sheep and cows run free in the village and the surrounding meadows. Don't drive too fast, the animals lord over the road. (watch the videos)
La Mongie is famous by the tramway to the "Pic du Midi".
An attraction for the wide view over the peaks and the aerologic observatory on the top.
- Pros:Pure air, unspoiled nature
- Cons:Sometimes (very often) foggy
- In a nutshell:The Pyrenees' wilderness :-)
In Spring and in Summer, the high mountains of the Pyrenees are full of flowers. They belong to the patrimony and cannot... more travel advice
When we watched the report of the Tour de France 2008 on TV, with the arrival in Hautacam, we also watched a publicity... more travel advice
Martinewezel's Related Pages
Bagnères-de-Bigorre Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Bagnères-de-Bigorre
- Hotels in Bagnères-de-Bigorre
- Shopping in Bagnères-de-Bigorre
- Warnings and Dangers in Bagnères-de-Bigorre
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bagnères-de-Bigorre
- 13 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Bagnères-de-Bigorre?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bagnères-de-Bigorre
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Best Aerial Trams?"
- updated a Bagnères-de-Bigorre Travel Page "La Mongie, village in the bend"
- Wrote a Review Flowers of the High Pyrenees in Bagnères-de-Bigorre Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Flowers of the High Pyrenees"
- Uploaded a Video to Bagnères-de-Bigorre
Photos in Bagnères-de-BigorreSee All Photos (36)
Videos in Bagnères-de-BigorreSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Intro, 43 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marne-la-Vallée Intro, 39 reviews, 70 photos
- Key West Intro, 36 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damme Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Valéry-sur-Somme Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos
- Bagnères-de-Bigorre Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 31 photos
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos