"My mom and son call Nome "Home"!" Top 5 Page for this destination Nome by DMTariensmom

Nome Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 100 photos

There IS no place like Nome!

My son and mom have chosen Nome, Alaska as their home, and I can see why. If I ever move from Washington State I will make Nome my home too. Such a small, friendly community! You are very isolated, but at the same time, feel like you are part of something very well pulled together. A "community" that has it's own way of operating. Everybody walks everywhere, or takes a taxi for $3. Adverse weather fazes no one. They just plod on. I felt like I was in a Stephen King novel! I loved the place!

• Pros:you can literally walk everywhere!
  • Cons:no theatres, or "high class, expensive" places.
  • In a nutshell:For the outdoorsy, down to earth traveler that isn't afraid of wind, dirt and/or cold. Gold panning, hunting, wonderful wildlife!
  • Last visit to Nome: Sep 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 14, 2003

• Scandic's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2005 at 9:54 PM

Very nice Nome pages here:) I like the way you embrace this little town, I am sure it feels like a close community. It would be interesting to know ho did your mom and son ended up there? Overall very wonderful pages and good tips too!

• Hildeal's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2004 at 11:47 AM

Now i got a whole new impression on Nome compared to what i had before. thanks for sharing your tips with us

• grlao's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2003 at 12:41 PM

I'm sure you know this by now, but there is a movie theater now, in the Subway restaurant. It is called Gold Coast Cinemas, and they show one or two movies a week.

• caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2003 at 2:55 PM

Great page on Nome! My favorite for the city.

Ranked Member