"Damme" Top 5 Page for this destination Damme by Maeve_81
Damme Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 290 photos
Damme lies a little lost between Bruges and Knokke, and it's a shame.
Such a charming medieval town and since 1997 Flanders Bookvillage.
In 1134 AD there was a terrible storm. The flood that followed, created ''t Zwin'.
Damme builded a harbour and a canal to connect 't Zwin with Bruges, and became economical important.
But after 3 centuries 't Zwin sanded and Bruges and Damme lost their power.
Damme stayed important to defend Bruges against the French (late 18the century) and the Germans (WW II).
- Pros:Charming little medieval town
- Cons:very very little
- In a nutshell:A typical town in Flanders
What you'll never forget is the church of Damme. You'll see it from far... the typical church with the flat tower. It... more travel advice
In the old days Damme was called 'Hondsdamme' (dog dam). This comes from a legend : the workers who where digging the... more travel advice
Maeve_81's Related Pages
Damme Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DAMME, my favorite!"
- "Damme, the Flemish booktown"
- "Damme - Charles de Coster"
- "Very pretty place, Damme."
- "LOVELY DAMME"
- "Damme visited, revisited, rerevisited... re re re"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Damme
- Transportation in Damme
- Restaurants in Damme
- Shopping in Damme
- Warnings and Dangers in Damme
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Damme
- 7 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Damme?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Damme
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lier Intro, 39 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nijlen Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 27 reviews, 6 photos
- Kenya Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Muizen Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samburu Game Reserve Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination De Efteling Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Antwerp Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ngorongoro Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maloja Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos