"Lier - my hometown, my love, ma belle" Top 5 Page for this destination Lier by Maeve_81

Lier Travel Guide: 171 reviews and 447 photos

A long history

Lier dates back a long time.
The first mentioning of a place called Ledi is in 870.
Ledi was located on the merge of the rivers 'Kleine Nete' and 'Grote Nete', where they become the river 'Nete'.
It's obvious that Lier is build out of various islands, as a lot of the street names or areas refer to water.
In 1212 we became a city, rich and economical important. And it still is.

St-Gummarus

According the legend, St-Gummarus was a rich man who lived on one of the many isles of Lier, Nivesdunc. He was married with Grimmara, an evil woman.
Once she refused the workers on their lands to drink, but Gummarus planted his staff in the ground and water welled up.
An other legend of St-Gummarus is that he repaired a tree that was cut in two with his belt.
So he became patron of fractures and troubles in marriages.
We celebrate him on the 11th of october.

Schapekoppen

This is our nickname 'Schapekoppen' (i.e. sheepheads). And yes, we are proud of it!
In late medieval times, the government rewarded Lier for it's economical grow. They got the choice between a university or a sheep-market. They chose the market.
It seems stupid nowadays, but at that moment it was just the smart thing to do.

• Intro Updated Jan 24, 2004

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Great write up Elke! ... and thank you for the tips! Think we might visit Absinth bar. ,...maybe see you there! :o) Cheers, Ann.

• songlines's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2006 at 2:19 PM

Lovely photos of Lier, I was there last during November 05, it was snowing and everything was sooooooooooooo beautiful! Groetjes

• chrismj's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2005 at 4:47 PM

Nice guide to Lier, can't believe I've been in Belgium so long and still haven't gone there. Your tips will get me visiting soon I'm sure - thanks!

• JosM's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2004 at 12:27 AM

Een naamgenoot op VT! - Zeer verzorgde, informatieve voorstelling van uw geboortestad!

• tak_pap's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2004 at 1:23 AM

fancinating site ! Happy Birthday !

• Astralka's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2004 at 2:09 AM

good to have such a hometown, very nice pages

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2004 at 6:25 AM

Very nice page on your hometown, hope to visit there some day

• aadil's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2004 at 11:35 AM

You forgot the packing lists!!! HAHAHA!!! Great page on your hometown!!! Thanks for sharing your tips and pics on VT!!! Fond memories of a wonderful trip to Lier last year!!! I just loved it there!!! Especially the Zimmer Tower!!!

• Wafro's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2004 at 6:56 AM

Eentje uit "Lierke Plezierke", heb ginder ooit vele dagen gesleten. Leuke Lier Page, I can't wait to see your Africa Pages. Wanneer was je daar? GREETZ

• genispp's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2004 at 8:41 AM

Beautiful page. I like your photos

Maeve_81 Lives Here!