"Lier - my hometown, my love, ma belle" Top 5 Page for this destination Lier by Maeve_81
Lier Travel Guide: 198 reviews and 545 photos
Lier dates back a long time.
The first mentioning of a place called Ledi is in 870.
Ledi was located on the merge of the rivers 'Kleine Nete' and 'Grote Nete', where they become the river 'Nete'.
It's obvious that Lier is build out of various islands, as a lot of the street names or areas refer to water.
In 1212 we became a city, rich and economical important. And it still is.
According the legend, St-Gummarus was a rich man who lived on one of the many isles of Lier, Nivesdunc. He was married with Grimmara, an evil woman.
Once she refused the workers on their lands to drink, but Gummarus planted his staff in the ground and water welled up.
An other legend of St-Gummarus is that he repaired a tree that was cut in two with his belt.
So he became patron of fractures and troubles in marriages.
We celebrate him on the 11th of october.
This is our nickname 'Schapekoppen' (i.e. sheepheads). And yes, we are proud of it!
In late medieval times, the government rewarded Lier for it's economical grow. They got the choice between a university or a sheep-market. They chose the market.
It seems stupid nowadays, but at that moment it was just the smart thing to do.
Excellent thai kitchen, very nice staff and although the interior is lighted with blacklight it's very cosy. Opened... more travel advice
The tourist office placed a sign to indicate the merge of the rivers 'Kleine Nete' and 'Grote Nete' to the river... more travel advice
- See All Brand new
- See All November carnival
- See All Jazzkroegentocht - Pub crawl
- Free busservice
Maeve_81's Related Pages
Lier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lier ... a hidden gem"
- "Lier - my hometown, my love, ma belle"
- "Smallest but brightest diamant in Belgian crown"
- "Lier: culture, history and beer"
- "Lier, Schoon Lier"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lier
- Hotels in Lier
- Transportation in Lier
- Nightlife in Lier
- Restaurants in Lier
- Shopping in Lier
- Warnings and Dangers in Lier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lier
- 39 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Lier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lier
Photos in LierSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lier Intro, 39 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nijlen Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 27 reviews, 6 photos
- Kenya Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Muizen Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samburu Game Reserve Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination De Efteling Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Antwerp Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ngorongoro Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maloja Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos