"The Ol' Fort" Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Wayne by treerose

Fort Wayne Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 156 photos

Then and Now

I hate to say it, but it took me 17 years of living there and several extended periods of time in places far removed from this town for me to appreciate Fort Wayne. I hated the humid summers and the cold, cold winters, and the rain, rain, rain. But by now I feel like I know each section of town and its surrounding areas like the back of my hand, and I cannot deny that it is a part of me.
I have since come to appreciate those humid summers as opportunities to swim outdoors and listen to the singing insect chorus that amplifies nocturnally. And the rainy spring and fall I now see as periods of visible dynamic changes in nature-- spring the colorful flowers blooming, and fall the colorful leaves changing. The winter I haven't quite come to terms with, as I get cold so easily, but I suppose it affords more time indoors to be with family and friends ... and sometimes to be stuck with family and friends as when the snowfall exceeds normal limits!

All-America City?

I saw on a huge looming water tower the words "Fort Wayne, All-America City." And I began to wonder how we earned that title and if anyone else really felt that way.
I can say that the size of Fort Wayne, in both population and in geographical dimensions, allows for a person to live in a quiet area and yet have the amenities of a large city without quite all the hassle of living in the middle of one. It truly has just about everything-- including several colleges to further education or your career, a myriad of restaurants to satisfy any appetite, numerous parks and recreation outlets including an extensive rivergreenway trail (quite rare in any town), an ice skating rink (you wouldn't believe how scarce those are in some areas!), an excellent library system, a public transportation system, and let's not forget how many shopping opportunities there are! To be an All-America City does not by any means mean to be a perfect or ideal city. Fort Wayne is fraught with its own problems, as is any city in this nation. But maybe to be All-American means to be well-rounded and well-grounded, where a modest diversity of people and activities creates a sense of balance and of home that, for instance, is hard to find in an extreme city like L.A., where despite its huge population and all-night attractions, a single person can feel more alone than they ever have anywhere else. It is good to have a sense of being not just home, but AT home as well. In Fort Wayne, that is possible.
P.S. For more on the many water towers around town, please refer to my travelogue section.

• Pros:You can find your own niche of people and activities
  • Cons:Winters
  • Intro Updated Oct 30, 2003

treerose

“Looking past the obvious...”

Badges & Stats in Fort Wayne

Have you been to Fort Wayne?

Latest Activity in Fort Wayne