"America's Last Frontier" Soldotna by ets

Soldotna Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 70 photos

Never thought I would ever see bald eagles in the wild, moose in someone's front yard, or someone tell me to throw back several huge rainbow trout into the Kenai River because they were "trash fish".
All this I experienced in Soldotna in the quest for "Sir William", the King Salmon. Thanks to Bill, my golf buddy, who was on assignment in Anchorage in July 2001.

Actually, Bill invited me to play a few rounds of golf since it was daylight until 2 AM in Alaska during the summer. I replied: "why don't we go fishing, too!" And "Sir William" in the picture was the result.
By the way, the boat captain told me not to feel too bad about keeping "Sir William", as all salmon die after spawning. Stil, to show my respect, I had him mounted for $$$. What a golf trip!

• Pros:great scenery, people and fishing
  • Cons:none
  • In a nutshell:a truly unique fishing experience
  • Last visit to Soldotna: Jul 2001
  • Intro Updated Jan 24, 2003

• vesna04's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2003 at 9:45 AM

you deserve some ratings here not only for that FISH.

• Aug 13, 2003 at 11:50 AM

Dont understand.. did you get to eat that monster or you just were happy posing next to him and signing autographs???... Who signed more?

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2003 at 7:26 PM

Whoa!! Now that's what I call a LUNKER! (not you Manny, the fish!) hehe....

• jessicadf's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2003 at 10:57 PM

Ets, what a huge salmon. Egad!! Welcome!

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2003 at 7:47 PM

Wow! That salmon is unreal!! Fantastic. Welcome to VT and hope to see more photos on your pages.

ets

“You're only young once!”

Badges & Stats in Soldotna

Have you been to Soldotna?

Latest Activity in Soldotna