"Gateway to England" Top 5 Page for this destination Dover by chrishc
Dover Travel Guide: 347 reviews and 733 photos
Not the nicest town in the world, but it is a working port so you have to make allowances and it does have some redeeming features.
The castle which dominates the skyline is superb and the white cliffs are great when the sun catches them right.
Dover has many little villages nearby several are very picturesque and have nice hostelries hidden in them.
The ferry port is about a mile from the railway station, but there is usually a shuttle bus running between the two.
Shuttle buses also service the cruise terminal in the Western docks when required and the Hoverport (where the Seacats dock) is similarly served.
The trains to London are old and draughty but quite frequent, (the Charing Cross route is the quickest). (I work in London).
The western Docks are used by the cruise ships and also the sea cats (catamarans), known locally as the vomit comets, I think they are a good way to cross the channel, and quick. These docks are situated onthe other side of town
- Pros:A useful place, has history, set in some nice countryside
- Cons:Shopping not very good apart from De Bradleigh
- In a nutshell:A working town scattered with a few jewels
The rail company has started doing a bargain fare where there are significant reductions if four of you travel together... more travel advice
Have not actually stayed there but have heard it is a well run and good quality hotel. It is a nice place to have tea... more travel advice
- See All Dover seafront
- See All Don't miss the fresh seafood
- Typical park
- See All Public loos
- See All Go to Ashford
chrishc's Related Pages
Dover Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to England"
- "Gateway to England"
- "MEDIEVAL DOVER"
- "OUR FIRST TOWN IN ENGLAND WAS................."
- "More of a dirty greenish colour"
- "One day trip to Dover.."
- "Just passing through?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dover
- Hotels in Dover
- Transportation in Dover
- Nightlife in Dover
- Restaurants in Dover
- Shopping in Dover
- Warnings and Dangers in Dover
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dover
- 36 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Dover?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dover
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santander Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Brugge Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amiens Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Marbella Intro, 1 review, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ellmau Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Canterbury Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rochester Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos