"What a great week" Sauze d'Oulx by chrishc
Sauze d'Oulx Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 4 photos
This is where I learnt to ski over 20 years ago and it was good to go back and see what the resort was like from the point of view of a competent skier.
I wasn't disappointed and the skiing at Sauze was good although the Sportinia and Clotes areas got very crowded at times and as the weather warmed up the lower areas got quite slushy.
The Genvris area had some nice runs but was only served by button lifts which was a bit wearing.
In fact the whole Sauze area needs to spend some money on upgrading its lifts, there were a lot of buttons and the chair lifts were mostly old and there was often not enough room to squeeze your skis onto the rest when the bar was brought down.
Only minor irritations and the runs in Sansicario and Sestriere (site of the Alpine events for the 2006 winter Olympics) were excellent. Claviere also had a lot to offer but the connecting lifts from the bottom of the Sansicario area (Cesana???) were a bit of a pain.
The run back to Sauze from Sansicario was quite steep but always had excellent snow so would not be as daunting as it may look to intermediate skiers who had chosen not to attempt the crossing, (the run does look quite scary from a distance).
Only downside is that there is not a clear run down to Sestriere, I think the general idea is that you ski halfway down and then catch the gondola, but down lifts are not really in the script so we continued down and ended up at a road above setriere and had quite a long walk to get to another skiable area).
We were staying outside the main village in the Gran Villard area and didn't bother with the legendary nightlife but I have it on good authority that if you are a party animal there is plenty of choice.
The local bus driver Mario (the blue bus) was a really cheery character and once he knew you would stop between bus stops and take you back to the hotel stop (sometimes right up to the hotel).
All in all an excellent resort and would recommend it to anyone with the proviso (make sure there is good snow there).
- Pros:All you could wish for in a ski resort
- Cons:Button lifts and a bit tatty
- In a nutshell:Serious party animals and skiers should apply
A well run hotel with four course evening meal (always two sorts of pasts in the pasta course), the food was good and... more travel advice
chrishc's Related Pages
Sauze d'Oulx Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Chicago Hotels
- Goa Hotels
- Orlando Hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Lake Taal Hotels
- Novaliches Hotels
- Panglao Island Hotels
- Montego Bay Hotels
- Catawba Island Hotels
- Deolali Hotels
- Table Rock State Park Hotels
- Figure Eight Island Hotels
- Guyana Hotels
- Cebu City
- Palma de Mallorca
- La Spezia
- Laoag City
- Madgaon Hotels
Badges & Stats in Sauze d'Oulx
- 2 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Sauze d'Oulx?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sauze d'Oulx
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santander Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Brugge Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amiens Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Marbella Intro, 1 review, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ellmau Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Canterbury Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rochester Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Niagara Falls Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos