"Capital of a reborn nation, left with many scars" Dili by extrajoce
Dili Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 55 photos
I happened to see Dili on my way from Kupang to Ambon on board a big PELNI boat. The atmosphere as we neared the city was amazing, as many Timorese started singing national songs in preparation of the referendum on independence. I saw a UN car patrol, but most people strongly advised not to come off the boat, and I didn't want to leave my fellow traveller alone, so all I got was a feel for this country to be and views of the empty harbour and city center.
- Pros:Amazing to see a country be born
- Cons:Not much left to see
- In a nutshell:Incredible place to be
It is hard to believe this is the capital of the new nation. There is hardly anything, and this was before a lot was... more travel advice
The harbour was sadly empty before the referendum - it seemed the whole nation was holding its breath. This was weeks... more travel advice
extrajoce's Related Pages
Dili Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "With the Pope on one side and Christ on the other"
- "Contrasts in Dili"
- "Dili, from colonial capital to ???"
- "Capital of a reborn nation, left with many scars"
- "Dili Dallying"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dili
- Hotels in Dili
- Transportation in Dili
- Restaurants in Dili
- Shopping in Dili
- Warnings and Dangers in Dili
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dili
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Dili?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dili
Photos in DiliSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 61 reviews, 62 photos
- Naples Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Lhasa Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Beijing Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Rome Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Phnom Penh Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
- Portbail 10 reviews, 10 photos
- Yangshuo Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Palermo Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Kang Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos