"CERVINIO and SAINT VINCENT" Saint-Vincent by jaam
Saint-Vincent Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 6 photos
The old Italian mountain settlement of Breuil was re-named Cervinia by the fascists in the 1930s after Italy built one of the world's first high-altitude purpose built ski centres there in the early '30s. The reason for the name change was that it sounded too French, and had no reference to Monte Cervinio - the magnificent mountain above, known as 'The Matterhorn' to English speaking folk.
Saint Vincent is a small town with modern appearance but preserves precious evidence of the past. A stop at the roman bridge is a must, of which remains a particular type of prop which perhaps indicates the origins of this town.
The Fons Salutis in the park still distributes water that contains "bicarbonate-sulphate-sodium-magnesia". Water that locals believe to be "miraculous for illnesses of the liver and gall-bladder".
Snow is still so very white up here in the middle of June!! An easy hike up from the village of saint vincent takes you close to these snow packs....
- Pros:Never to be missed especially for snow lovers
- Cons:Small village which can get very crowded during peak snow seasons.
- In a nutshell:Hard to believe I'm in Italy around these huge mountains!!
jaam's Related Pages
Saint-Vincent Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Saint-Vincent
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Saint-Vincent?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Vincent
Photos in Saint-VincentSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Isla Patagonia Intro, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hoorn Intro, 1 review, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jeju (city) Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iguassu Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hakodate Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- South Korea Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Canberra Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Incheon Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Saint-Vincent Intro, 1 review, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokyo Intro, 4 photos, 1 travelogue