"Three Plenties and Three Lacks......." Top 5 Page for this destination Jeju (city) by jaam
Jeju (city) Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 120 photos
Cheju (Chejudo) is a volcanic island and the largest in Korea. It is located in the southwest sea of the Korean peninsula. The size of Cheju is 73km from east to west, 41Km from north to south in the shape of an oval.
Cheju island, Chejudo, is a place of myths and legends. All over the island stand that have become its symbol : the stone statues of dwarf-like Tolharubang, today a curiosity, in days gone by a powerful fertility god. Cheju is also rich in caves, from one of which, according to legend, sprang the three god-men, Ko, Pu, and Yang who founded the island´s first settlement and made it flourish. Three times each year a festival is held to commemorate these forebears and the blessings they left behind them.
Cheju is said to be an island of ´three plenties and three lacks.´ The three plenties are stones, wind and women. Houses and fields have stone walls around them to protect them from the strong sea winds.
Along the shoreline women dive for shellfish. One in five of the population earn their living from the sea and in many families the women have been divers for generations.
The three lacks are beggars, thieves and locks. The sea has made the islanders rich enough for there to be no thieves or beggars. And because there are no thieves people rarely lock their doors. Three bars are placed across an entrance, and when one is missing it means the owners are out.
Cheju city is thriving and modern. But once you are out of it and into the country, you´ll meet old people and children in the little straw-thatched hamlets who smile in a way that city-dwellers rarely do.
- Pros:A delight for all your senses!!!
- Cons:Too many tourists from the mainland....
- In a nutshell:seafood....seafood...see food....eat!!!!
You go from the grounds of Shilla Hotel which already is a site to enjoy. An abundance of tropical trees and beautiful... more travel advice
Most of the points of interests in this island seems to be geared for tourists....The one I was so disappointed with was... more travel advice
jaam's Related Pages
Jeju (city) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jeju Do: Wind, Basalt Rocks and Beautiful Women."
- "Three Plenties and Three Lacks......."
- "Korea's vacation land"
- "Cheju Island"
- "Jeju - Winter Sonata"
- "Jeju-do island - "little Hawaii" in Korea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jeju (city)
- Hotels in Jeju (city)
- Transportation in Jeju (city)
- Nightlife in Jeju (city)
- Restaurants in Jeju (city)
- Shopping in Jeju (city)
- Warnings and Dangers in Jeju (city)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jeju (city)
- 5 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Jeju (city)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jeju (city)
Photos in Jeju (city)See All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Isla Patagonia Intro, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hoorn Intro, 1 review, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jeju (city) Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iguassu Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hakodate Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- South Korea Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Canberra Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Incheon Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Saint-Vincent Intro, 1 review, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokyo Intro, 4 photos, 1 travelogue