"Macau - former Portuguese Colony" Top 5 Page for this destination Macao by vincentf
Macao Travel Guide: 1,906 reviews and 5,772 photos
Macau - a mixture of Chinese and Portuguese cultures was reverted back to China in 1999. However, it still retains its European architecture and food. It has a population of 455,000. Ruins of Saint Paul is the landmark of Macau which was burned down in 1835. It is just a mere 1-hour boat ride from Hong Kong. Thus, many Hong Kong locals visit this region over a weekend. Macau is also known as Monte Carlo of the Orient due to its numerous casinos.
Throughout the region, a rich atmosphere of European architecture is found. Many visitors will pass through the busy section of Senado Square. It is paved with yellow cobblestones and lined with European styled buildings. At night, the square is flood lit creating an ambient atmosphere.
This is the most famous landmark of Macau - Ruins of St. Paul. It is located at the top of a small hill.
NOTE: Since December 2004, I have been working in Macau. Thus, I will learn more and more about this unique place. I will update the page as I continue to work in Macau. Many monuments and buildings have been listed in UNESCOs World Heritage Sites in July 2005.
- Pros:Experience Portuguese culture in Asia
Mount Fortress, built in 1617-26, occupies a hilltop to the east of the ruins of St. Paul′ s. It was constructed... more travel advice
I guess it compliments after a trip to Sands Casino as it sits right beside it. The place is literally a shopping mall... more travel advice
- See All Centro Desportivo da Vitória (Squash...
- See All Sands Macau
- See All TCM - Sociedade de Transportes...
- See All Fortune Tower
Written Feb 17, 2004
Last Visited in February 2004
Written Aug 18, 2004
Last Visit in August 2004
vincentf's Related Pages
Macao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IMPREXXION: MACAU"
- "Bem-Vindo a Macau - Welcome to Macau"
- "Macau - former Portuguese Colony"
- "Portuguese Heritage"
- "aramat's new Macao Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Macao
- Hotels in Macao
- Transportation in Macao
- Nightlife in Macao
- Restaurants in Macao
- Shopping in Macao
- Warnings and Dangers in Macao
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Macao
- 57 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Macao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Macao
- Posted in Travel Qatar Forum "Re: US Currency in Doha?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Macau Ferry Terminal"
- Wrote a Review Monte Fort (Fortaleza do Monte) about Mount Fortress - Fortaleza do Monte in Macao Things to Do
- updated a Macao Travel Page "Macau - former Portuguese Colony"
- Commented on one of peerapa's Macao travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Macao Intro, 57 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 74 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 27 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queenstown Intro, 11 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Osaka Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kota Kinabalu Intro, 21 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shanghai Intro, 21 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nagoya Intro, 11 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues