"Ramblings" Tasmania's Profile
We all take our home towns for granted. Familiarity blinds us to the potential of our surroundings. We travel thousands of miles to gaze in awe at someone else's humdrum existence.
So travel is above all a stimulant for the brain. A mind tonic. A soul revitaliser
Travel offers a repite from serious life citizenship....forget the mortgage, weeding the garden, feeding the cat and how much fibre you have in your diet. Just go. Free at last, if only for three weeks.
Travel also provides soul food for those who journey. The image we have are given of the world by the media is often of despair and destruction. But to travel is to stumble across scene after scene of such rugged splendour and timeless magnificence that your emotions overwhelm your senses. If this place exists then there is hope yet for the world.
To travel is to explore the many shadows of your psyche, for different people find beauty in different things....soul food comes in different packages.
The magic of travel is everywhere. The tragedy, the drama, the pathos of past human life haunts every grand ruin, and you feel the haunted or triumphant ghosts echoing in your every step.
Travel renews your sense of childlike wonder because the world indeed has many wonders. Sometimes wonder can be found on a small scale, a universe reflected on a drop of dew. Sometimes wonder is seen on a spectacular scale. To stand and absorb the massive prehistoric form of a mountain, is to feel for a moment like a mere speck of existence in the infinite continuum of the universe. To be humbled.
And to travel is to experience irony. The boredom on the face of the gondolier in Venice. A cleaner yawning as they sweep the floor of the Louvre.
After all, this is where they live.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 8 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 1 Countries
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- Tasmania and The_Downunder_Mob are now friends.
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Right. Serious question...."
- Commented on iandsmith's profile page
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tasmanian birds"
created their Personal Page "Tasmanian birds"
- Wrote a Review Salamanca market in Hobart Things to Do
- created a Hobart Travel Page "My home town"
Top 5 Pages
- Hobart Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- State of South Australia Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Swansea Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 3 photos
- Sydney Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22161 Reviews - 53866 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15523 Reviews - 30893 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23058 Reviews - 47256 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26470 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17013 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1908 Reviews - 4459 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7630 Reviews - 19467 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos