"Bogota" Top 5 Page for this destination Distrito Capital de Santafé de Bogotá by alfredop
Distrito Capital de Santafé de Bogotá Travel Guide: 110 reviews and 147 photos
The city of Bogotá has a great variety of tourist places, with a combination of colonial buildings and skyscrapers.
Among the numerous churches are those of Santa Clara, San Francisco, San Ignacio, the Cathedral situated in La Plaza de Bolívar, La Tercera San Diego and the sanctuary of Monserrate.
The list of museums can be headed with the famous Gold Museum which is a testimony to native Indian culture. The Religious Art Museum has an exhibit of La Lechuga, where you can see 1,486 emeralds encrusted in gold. There is also the National Museum, El 20 de Julio or Casa del Florero, the Museum of Modern Art, the Mint and la Quinta de Bolívar.
Numerous art galleries display and sell the works of both Colombian and international contemporary artists.
Concerts are held in theater halls such as Teatro Colon, Colsubsidio, or in Luis Angel Arango Library and the Leon de Greiff hall at the Universidad Nacional.
If you like bull fighting you can go to the Plaza de Toros de Santamaria.
Corferias, Corporacion de ferias y exposiciones, is where countries get together to show their technology.
Among other places there are La Zona Rosa, for shopping fun, gourmet food and entertainment, and also the Planetario, Botanical Garden and Shopping centers, such as Hacienda Santa Barbara, Centro Comercial Andino and Unicentro.
August 6th, 1538 by Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada.
North Latitude: 4 35 56 57
West Latitude: 74 04 51 30
Bogotá: 2600m over the sea level.
Monserrate: 3190m over the sea level.
Around 7,000,000 million inhabitants.
Medium: 14 celcius and ranging from 8.9 to 19.9.
Municipio de Chía
West hills and municipios de la Calera, Choachí, Ubaque, Chipaque, Une, Gutiérrez.
Dpto. del Meta y Huila.
Río Bogotá and municipios de Cabrera, Venecia, San Bernardo, Arbeláez, Pasca, Sibaté, Soacha, Mosquera, Funza y Cota.
On December the 3rd, 1538, this shield was established officialy by the Cédula Real. This shield was given by Carlos V for the new kingdom of Granada.
The eagle symbolizes strenght and the grenades courage and dare.
Bogota's flag dates from the independence movement that started on July 20th, 1810. The rebels started carrying on their arms a piece of cloth with yellow and red, colors from the Spanish flag of those days and that were used on the New Kingdom of Granada.
After 142 years, on October 9th, 1952 was officially adopted as Bogota's flag.
Yellow is taken to represent justice, clemence and virtue, while red symbolizes liberty, health and charity.
Me at the entrance gardens. When I arrived it was already closed, but we gave the equivalent to US$1.00 to the guard and... more travel advice
alfredop's Related Pages
Distrito Capital de Santafé de Bogotá Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "High in the Andies"
- "La tierra del Café"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Distrito Capital de Santafé de Bogotá
- Hotels in Distrito Capital de Santafé de Bogotá
- Transportation in Distrito Capital de Santafé de Bogotá
- Nightlife in Distrito Capital de Santafé de Bogotá
- Restaurants in Distrito Capital de Santafé de Bogotá
- Shopping in Distrito Capital de Santafé de Bogotá
- Warnings and Dangers in Distrito Capital de Santafé de Bogotá
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Distrito Capital de Santafé de Bogotá
- 11 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Distrito Capital de Santafé de Bogotá?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Distrito Capital de Santafé de Bogotá
Photos in Distrito Capital de Santafé de BogotáSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Manchester Intro, 27 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santo Domingo Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos
- Dublin Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Xilitla Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos, 4 travelogues
- Isla Contadora Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos
- Montreal 8 reviews, 23 photos
- Madrid Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Distrito Capital de Santafé de Bogotá Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues