"Santo Domingo" Top 5 Page for this destination Santo Domingo by alfredop
Santo Domingo Travel Guide: 416 reviews and 893 photos
Santo Domingo was the first European city in the Americas — an important base for dozens of Spanish explorers, with Hernán Cortés leaving here to launch his attack on Mexico, and Diego de Velázquez setting out to settle Cuba.
The Colonial City is the perfect starting point for visitors to discover Santo Domingo. Here, between Independence Park and the Ozama River, you will find the first city built in the New World by European settlers, including Columbus's brother, Bartholomeo, and his son, Diego Columbus.
The first street in the Americas is Calle de Las Damas, the site of numerous historic buildings including the Ozama Fortress, the oldest fortress in the Americas. There is also the house of Nicolás de Ovando, governor of Santo Domingo in the early 1500's and a ruthless warrior against the Taino Indians.
Of great historical interest is the Museo de las Casas Reales(Museum of the Royal Houses), the restored 16th century palace of the Spanish Court, which features a wonderful glimpse of the past. Nearby is the Alcázar de Colón (Castle of Columbus) built by Diego Columbus and his wife Maria de Toledo, niece of the Spanish King Ferdinand.
A few streets over in the center of the walled city, visitors will find the Cathedral Basilica Santa Maria la Menor, pronounced the first cathedral in the New World by Pope Paul III in 1542. While touring the colonial city, visitors can learn all about amber, the stone made even more famous by Steven Spielberg's Jurassic Park film. The Amber Museum on Calle Arz. Meriño features exceptional educational exhibits of this semi-precious jewel.
The main exports from the Dominican Republic include sugar, cocoa and tobacco. The cigars are among the best. You can... more travel advice
This busy market shows off a wide variety of goods and is the best place in Santo Domingo for handicrafts. Beware of... more travel advice
alfredop's Related Pages
Santo Domingo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My hometown, la Ciudad Primada de América"
- "City of Happy People"
- "Welcome to chaos... have fun!!"
- "Santo Domingo"
- "Santo Domingo"
- "Christmas in Santo Domingo"
- "SANTO DOMINGO, CIUDAD COLONIAL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santo Domingo
- Hotels in Santo Domingo
- Transportation in Santo Domingo
- Nightlife in Santo Domingo
- Restaurants in Santo Domingo
- Shopping in Santo Domingo
- Warnings and Dangers in Santo Domingo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santo Domingo
- 17 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Santo Domingo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santo Domingo
Photos in Santo DomingoSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Manchester Intro, 27 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 13 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santo Domingo Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos
- Dublin Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Xilitla Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos, 4 travelogues
- Isla Contadora Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos
- Montreal 8 reviews, 23 photos
- Madrid Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Distrito Capital de Santafé de Bogotá Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues