"CHARMING LITTLE HYTHE" Top 5 Page for this destination Hythe by whitecliff62
Hythe Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 105 photos
Hythe, in the District of shepway, is one of five original cinque ports locted on the garden coast in south kent. It is on a wide bay of the English channel, four miles west of my home town which is the cross channel port of Folkestone and 16 miles south west of Dover. A wide promenade overlooks a long stretch of beach, and over the channel to France. This is the ideal place for a day out or a lovely summer picnic. Most of Hythe is residential, but a five minute stroll along Stade street will bring you to the Royal Military Canal. This was dug and constructed during the Napoleonic era (1804--15) as a defence against possible French invasions. The town spreads up the hillside and has loads of historic little streets with very interesting grade listed buildings. At the foot of the hill is the old and narrow High Street. It is the main shopping area and it dates back many centuries. Halfway up the hill is the famous 11th century church, with its crypt and Ossuray containing thousands of human skulls and bones of the early settlers. The town also has loads to do for a real action packed day out including Golf, Tennis, riding, bowls, squash, boating, wind surfing, fresh water and sea fishing. the Royal Military Canal's banks provide many fantastic walks and is a haven for the local wild life and birds. Romney Marsh lies to the west of the town, and can be explored by car, bicycle, or the worlds Smallest public railway. Hythe is the main station for the famous Romney Hythe and Dymchurch light steam railway, which runs along the coastlinefor about 20 miles.
- Pros:A LOVELY LITTLE SEASIDE TOWN
- Cons:DEAD IN THE WINTER
- In a nutshell:WELL WORTH A TRIP ON THE STEAM TRAIN
Here is a list of main roads into Hythe. From Folkestone you have the A259 coast road. Also you can get there by going... more travel advice
This is Hythes finest hotel so if you want the best then stay here. It was built in 1880 and renovated in 1999 but still... more travel advice
whitecliff62's Related Pages
Hythe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CHARMING LITTLE HYTHE"
- "Hythe - is the Cinque Port sinking in popularity"
- "Hythe - Where I live!"
- "Beautiful or ugly? Dungeness"
- "MEMORIES OF HYTHE AND THE KENT COAST"
- "Hythe - Kent"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hythe
- Hotels in Hythe
- Transportation in Hythe
- Restaurants in Hythe
- Shopping in Hythe
- Warnings and Dangers in Hythe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hythe
- 17 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Hythe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hythe
Photos in HytheSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marmaris Intro, 153 reviews, 209 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alanya Intro, 127 reviews, 146 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bitez Intro, 101 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Folkestone Intro, 92 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kusadasi Intro, 72 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ephesus Intro, 52 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury Intro, 47 reviews, 46 photos
- Chessington Intro, 50 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dalyan Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Island Intro, 38 reviews, 32 photos