London Things to Do Tips by whitecliff62
London Things to Do: 8,853 reviews and 14,858 photos
This one will scare the pants off you. Its the London dungeon. This tourist attraction has been a favourite place for visitors for years and with exhibits on nasty people like jack the ripper its well worth the money to get in. I have herd that since i went it has had a total refurbishment.
One more photo of the guard and horse.
This is another great London tradition. These horses have got to be the most well behaved in the world to put up with the noise of tourists and traffic.
This is Londons most photographed square and here you will see the beatifull fountains and the monument of Nelson.
Address: Trafalgar square, just off the strand.
s.t pauls cathederal.
S.T. pauls cathederal is another famous London tourist destination. Although i haven't been inside this beautifull building freinds have told me that the guided tour is not to be missed and is well worth the money.
I found some interesting facts about Tower bridge that you might be fascinated to know.
In 1910the high-level walkways, which were designed so that the public could still cross the bridge when it was raised, were closed down due to a lack of use. most people preferred to wait at the bottom and watch the bascules rise up.
In 1912 during an emergency, frank McClean had to fly bettween the bascules and the high level walkways in his biplane, to avoid an accident.
In 1952a London bus had to leap from one bascule to the other when the bridge began to rise with the bus still on it.
In 1977 Tower bridge was painted red, white and blue to celebrate the queens silver jubilee, the old colour was chocolate brown.
In 1982Tower bridge opened to the public for the first time since 1910 with a permanent exhibition inside called the Tower bridge experience.
This is perhaps one of the most photographed landmarks in London, Tower bridge with h.m.s. Belfast on the right which you can also visit. The building of the bridge took 8 years to construct and 5 major contractors untill its completion in 1894 and with a total labour force of 432 it was a big undertaking for its day. Two massive piers had to be sunk into the river bed to suport the bridge and over 11,000 tons of steel made up the framework for the towers and walkways. This was then clad in granite to protect the steel from corosion.
Another photo of this famous monument.
This is the most famous clock in the world and i have found out a few things that might interest you about Big Ben
The total height of the tower is 316ft.
The height of the belfry is about 200ft.
There are 290 steps to the clockroom and 340 to the belfry.
The quarter chiming bells are in the key of F
The hour bell (Big Ben) is note E and weighs 13.5 tons and has a maximum diameter of 9ft.
The hammer of the hour bell weighs 4cwt.
The four quarter bells weigh (in order of size) 1 ton, 1.25 tons, 1.6 tons and 3.5 tons.
THE DIALS AND HANDS
The diameter of each of the four dials is 23ft.
Each dial contains 312 panes or glass.
28 bulbs are used to light each dial from behind.
The hour hands are 9ft long and weigh 0.8 cwt.
The minute hands are 14ft long and weigh 2.5cwt.
The roman numerals are 2ft high.
THE CLOCK MECHANISM
Three train flatbed mechanism with Grimthorp's double three-legged gravity escapement and two-second pendulum.
The frame of the mechanism is about 16ft long and the entire machine weighs 5 tons.
The driving weights weigh 2cwt. (going), 1 ton (striking) and 1.25 tons (chiming)
The chiming and striking trains have been wound by motor since 1912 but the previous hand winding took two men 5 hours per train.
The going train is still wound by hand which takes about 30 mins.
The overall lenth of the pendulum is about 14ft and it weighs 2.5cwt.
This is one monument you can't miss when you visit Trafalgar square. Nelsons coloum comemorates the battle of trafalgar and the actual coloum is 170ft high and Nelson stands proudly on the top and he is 18ft high.
Address: Trafalgar square
whitecliff62's Related Pages
London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Current Home"
- "Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
- "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- "London, the capital of England"
- "London, Misty Albion"
- "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in London
- Hotels in London
- Transportation in London
- Nightlife in London
- Restaurants in London
- Shopping in London
- Warnings and Dangers in London
- See All...
Explore the World
- Laguna Hotels
- Kirkenes Hotels
- Padang Rengas Hotels
- Dapitan City Hotels
- Morano Calabro
- Ostia Antica
- Punta Cana
Badges & Stats in London
- 12 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 47 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in London
Photos in LondonSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marmaris Intro, 153 reviews, 209 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alanya Intro, 127 reviews, 146 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bitez Intro, 101 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Folkestone Intro, 92 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kusadasi Intro, 72 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ephesus Intro, 52 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury Intro, 47 reviews, 46 photos
- Chessington Intro, 50 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dalyan Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kos Island Intro, 38 reviews, 32 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (69)
Latest London hotel reviews
- West 2 Hostel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 26, 2013
- Blue Bells
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Best Western The Cromwell
- 341 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Hilton Stansted Airport Hotel London
- 556 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Citadines Prestige South Kensington
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Andaz London
- 913 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Mina House Hotel London
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Sydney House Hotel
- 122 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Wigram House (No Facilities)
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 14, 2013
- Travelodge London Kings Cross
- 1 Review & Opinion
- 93 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- The Grove Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2012
- Hotel 65
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 18, 2013
- Hanover Hotel London
- 271 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Tower of London- 456 Reviews, 739 Photos
- British Museum- 297 Reviews, 525 Photos
- London Eye- 254 Reviews, 435 Photos
- Buckingham Palace.- 394 Reviews, 649 Photos
- Tower Bridge- 289 Reviews, 456 Photos
- Houses of Parliament and Big Ben- 369 Reviews, 611 Photos
- Trafalgar Square- 271 Reviews, 466 Photos
- Hyde Park- 164 Reviews, 292 Photos
- Westminster Abbey- 255 Reviews, 429 Photos
- St Pauls Cathedral- 242 Reviews, 401 Photos
See All London Things to Do