"Qatif, Saudi Arabia" Al Qatif by anees

Al Qatif Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 50 photos

Qatif, An Oases of Palm Trees, Water, and Oil

Its my home town, as it was for my great grandfathers.
Qatif (al-QaTiif) is a historic coastal city and oasis located on the western shore of the Arabian/Persian Gulf in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia, some 13km north of the port city of Dammam and southwest of major oil port Ras Tanura.
The oasis covers a large area that includes many other traditional Saudi towns villages such as Saihat, Safwa, Anak, Tarut Island (which includes Taroot, Sanabis, Dareen, Al-Rabeia), Al-Khuwaildia, Al-jaroudia, Helat Muhaish, and Awamia. Qatif is famous for its dates and fish.
I was born there some 35 years ago, but, even though I've been studying and working far a way from it for more 10 years "in Riyadh, Qatif is still where I call it home.
My little Island, Taroot, is located the mid of gulf with the same name, just infront of Qateef city, srounded by Dammam from south, and Ras tanora from north.
The area (Qatif and the srounding towns) is famous of its large oil proven reserves, beside that our area enjoyes a wonderful agrictultural recources , and it has a long history.
The gulf was the working place of our great grandfathers. My people memorize stories from the past about the fishing and diving for pearls.
They also have tell stories about sailors who died or lost in the sea after stormy days and nights, some have been found away by the other bank of gulf, or never return.

As of 2004, the total population of Qatif was 474,573; ranking as one of the ten most populated governorates in Saudi Arabia.
Qatif has one of the lowest numbers of non-Saudi residents in the kingdom, and unlike all other cities in the Eastern Province, nearly all its Saudi population are native residents.

The sea now is just beautiful place every body loves to sit and walk by its coasts.

The fishers are doing their business as our local fish market is the largest in Gulf region.

Qatifis are a hospitable people. Extending generous hospitality and warm welcome to visitors has been part and parcel of our social mores since time immemorial.

Tarout (Taroot) Island

Tarout in the (Arabian Gulf) Persian Gulf, off the coast of the Qatif oasis in Saudi Arabia. It is inhabited predominantly by Shia Muslims.

My Dad and Mom families were related and all were deeply rooted in this island where all people live on fishing and farming untill oil was discovered in the first half of last century, then, lots of people attracted to work for what known later as Aramco, the largest oil company in the world by reserves and production.

The known history of this island goes back to over 5000 years ago. It was believed to be the Garden of Eden, a piece of Heaven on Earth.

Well, now its linked to the main land by two short bridges where people drive through them to Qatif, and to the rest of the kingdom.

Qatif blessed with abundant fresh-water springs, the historic oasis area shows its first archeological evidence of settlement beginning about 3500 BC, and it functioned for centuries as the main town and port in this region of the Gulf.

In fact, it was called Cateus by the Greeks, and some early European maps even labeled the entire present-day Gulf as the "Sea of El Catif".

Traditionally reliant on agriculture, Qatif has become famous in the oil industry recently, mainly due to the mega Qatif Project.

The Island has no hotels, nor hostals. the government aim to develop its historical castle in the old town of Tarut by turn it to complex will include public garden, well our people hope plans go well.

• Last visit to Al Qatif: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 7, 2007

• Dec 5, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Thank you so much on your writings about my city Al Qatif I proud of you I greatful for you you writing wonderful I will use your writings in my presntation I glad to know you Thank you again

• kenyneo's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Cool ...wish I had known you earlier when I was in Saudi ....that would make my visit to Qatif a more memorable one .. cheers keny

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2007 at 6:25 PM

What an interesting group of pages. Love the local and regional festivals and celebrations. The market looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing this wonderful place.

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2007 at 7:06 PM

When I visit Qatif on those days, I never bother find a hotel. My Qatifi friends are hospitable and very nice people in general. I also attended a couple of weddings, and it is something different. I would love to visit Qatif again in the future.

• Vincent1101's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2007 at 9:28 PM

I like your travel page especially introduction of your hometown, indeed i never know this place but i hope i can travel this piece of land where Anees born. Hv a nice day!

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2007 at 2:51 AM

Hi Anees,... tnq for dropping by, and did not know anything about being featured,... nice heheeh. You do live in a dream like at Al Qatif, wow, must keep it in mind, greets RoyJava

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2007 at 11:53 PM

Ahh, Sandwiches, I love to taste them all over the world. My favorite ones are in Danmark, beeing called Smoerebroed, small works of art and very tasty !

anees Was Born Here!

anees

“There is life outside your apartment, and you only gonna see if you leave”

Badges & Stats in Al Qatif

Have you been to Al Qatif?