"EAST LEAKE" East Leake by Nixter01
East Leake Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 23 photos
Hello and welcome to East Leake.
These pictures are of my village, and I'd like to share them with you.
I have lived here most of my life, moving away several times but always coming back. Over the years there has been alot of changes, some for the better some for the worse, but one thing I do know is even though th village is getting bigger every year and houses are put up in every corner, you still can't escape its beautiful countryside. As you can see from the photo below the village, we are surrounded by miles and miles of greenery and I would'nt want to have it any other
East Leake lies in the middle of the valley of Kingston Brook, a tributary of the River Soar, its position attracted settlers long before the Roman times and now currently has more than 6000 in population.
The brook gave the place its name which has been Leeche, Leke, and Leak before settling to Leake as it now is.
The village was mainly run by agrigutural, but other work included weaving, framework knitting of the lace, hosiery and basket making. The biggest by far though is Gypsum Mining, which has dated back to the 1870.s. Now British Gypsum plays a major part of British plaster board.
This aerial View over East Leake shows just how big it is for a village, but if you can see at the top there is a mass of houses then afew fields before some more houses, now all of those fields have been filled in with 320 new homes.
Amazing is'nt it !
How East Leake got her name through this brook which is oppposite the church above. Also you can see the War Memorial to the right.
- Pros:East Leake Is Quiet, Scenic and For Families
- Cons:Not Enough clothes Shops !
- In a nutshell:More Than just A Village
This is a very old photo taken in 1880. It shows you Gotham Road where now there are houses, my old school ( soon to be... more travel advice
This is one of the Cottages hidden away from where the weaving and lace was made. Now converted into houses they still... more travel advice
Nixter01's Related Pages
East Leake Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in East Leake
- 8 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to East Leake?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in East Leake
Photos in East LeakeSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 62 reviews, 64 photos
- Singapore Intro, 25 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Fuerteventura Intro, 37 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 20 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kerkyra Intro, 35 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Borovec Intro, 25 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla de Gran Canaria Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Loughborough Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos