"Visiting Iraq" Iraq by DunaKal

Iraq Travel Guide: 479 reviews and 1,607 photos

Visiting Iraq

I first visited this country when I was eight years old,where I had my uncle and his family living there.It was summer and all I can remember is for it being very hot and I celebrated my eighth birthday there....then I re-visited it after the war between Iraq and Iran in 1989,I was in high school then,and my family and I went at the time of our mid-term vacation.

I got the next chapter in my e.mail inbox and thought I`d share it with you :-D

What is Iraq?

1. The garden of Eden was in Iraq.

2. Mesopotamia, which is now Iraq, was the cradle of civilization!

3. Noah built the ark in Iraq.

4. The Tower of Babel was in Iraq.

5. Abraham was from Ur, which is in Southern Iraq!

6. Isaac's wife Rebekah is from Nahor,which is in Iraq.

7. Jacob met Rachel in Iraq.

8. Jonah preached in Nineveh which is in Iraq.

9. Assyria, which is in Iraq, conquered the ten tribes of Israel.

10. Amos cried out in Iraq!

11. Babylon, which is in Iraq, destroyed Jerusalem.

12. Daniel was in the lion's den in Iraq!

13. The three Hebrew children were in the fire in Iraq (Jesus had been
in Iraq also as the fourth person in the fiery furnace!)

14. Belshazzar, the King of Babylon saw the
"writing on the wall" in Iraq.

15. Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon,carried the Jews captive into Iraq.

16. Ezekiel preached in Iraq.

17. The wise men were from Iraq.

18. Peter preached in Iraq.

19. The "Empire of Man" described in Revelation is called Babylon,
which was a city in Iraq!

20.Iraq was the second nation mentioned in the Bible after Isreal, not by the name Iraq but by :
Babylon, Land of Shinar,
and Mesopotamia.

The word Mesopotamia means between the two rivers, more exactly between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers.

The name Iraq, means country with deep roots.

Who are the Iraqies?*

Every decade or so, we should remind ourselves of who the Iraqis are:

1. Twelve-thousand years ago, they invented irrigated farming. They got to be so good at it that, today, they can still produce all the food they need even when "sanctions" are imposed.

2. They invented writing.

3. They figured out how to tell time.

4. They founded modern mathematics.

5. In the Code of Hammurabi, they invented the first legal system that protects the weak, the widow and the orphan.

6. Five-thousand years ago, they had philosophers who attempted to list every known thing in the world.

7. They were using Pythagoras' theorem 1,700 years before Pythagoras.

8. They invented artificial building materials, some kind of pre-fab-crete stuff used to construct high-rise towers.

9. Ur, in southeast Iraq, is assumed to be the place we're all descended from.

10. They were the first people to build cities and live in them.

11. For thousands of years, they wrote the greatest poetry, history and "sagas" in the world.

12. Because they were great horse breeders, they invented the cavalry in war.

13. The Iraq Museum in Baghdad contains some of the most outstanding stone, metal and clay sculptures and inscriptions created in the history of the world. Some of them are more than 7,000 years old. .

14. The first school for astronomers was established by Iraqis. This is how the "wise men" got to be so wise. They knew how to follow the star.

15. Beginning around 800 AD, the Iraqis founded universities that imported teachers from throughout the civilized world to teach medicine, mathematics, philosophy, theology, literature and poetry.

16. For the first 1,200 years of its existence, Baghdad was regarded as one of the most refined, civilized and festive cities in the world.

17. Abraham, the father of Israel, was from Iraq.

18. Abraham, the father of Islam, was from Iraq.

19. Abraham, the father and "model" of Christian faith, was from Iraq.

20. Iraq , is the second largest reserve of oil.

21. Before 1980, Iraq had the largest number of date palm trees in the world.

22. Iraqi wheat, rice, and meat are considered among the finest types in the world.

23. Iraq, has the biggest soft water/population ratio in the world, seven rivers.

24. Iraqis, once had the highest percent of highly educated people.

25. Iraq, is one of the world's richest territories in historical sites and holy shrines.*

• Pros:My best part of the family lives there!
  • Cons:Hot summers,dry cold winters!
  • Last visit to Iraq: Feb 1989
  • Intro Updated Nov 25, 2005

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Interesting comments and tips!!

• Aopaq's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2007 at 5:18 AM

Wonderful pages on Iraq! I was recently in the North and had unforgettable experiences. I hope I can see more of this interesting country one day soon. I pray your relatives are all safe!

• wcph's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2005 at 3:36 PM

Well-written introduction - very informative.

• leonik's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2005 at 2:45 AM

thanks for the great introduction of the cradle of civilisatoin... peace to the people.

• Sirvictor's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 10:09 AM

The hearths of all Turks are with Iraq. Allahu Ekber! Only Allah is Great.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2004 at 4:52 PM

Very interesting intro! It's so nice to hear something about this country besides what we're inundated with on the news. I hope your family is safe.

• AMOQUE's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2004 at 2:09 AM

I wish peace safety and love for your family. May things become stabil soon!

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2004 at 2:23 PM

A very nice page, with a great intro. You have a very ancient culture, and many educated people. I worry for you, your family, and other Iraq people who are just trying to live their lives. May you stay safe, and may things begin to improve soon.

• Narviking's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2004 at 6:31 AM

So wonderful to see a page about Iraq without american propaganda.....

• kenyneo's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2004 at 6:16 AM

Wow ..so much to see in Iraq , but too bad we dont have a chance to savour all the beauty and heritage ...well WAR , is it worth it ? Great page with interesting info !

DunaKal

“Travel, as much as you can, as far as you can, as long as you can, life is not meant to be lived in one place. ”

Badges & Stats in Iraq