"My first Hajj experience!" Mina by DunaKal

Mina Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 25 photos

From Jiddah to Mina

I decided this year to finally to go to Hajj(the Muslims pilgrimage journey)
I booked myself and my husband with an orgniser called Al Qasswa,but one week before the Hajj time,they called to tell us that they were not granted the Hajj permission from the government for some reason(though they have been in business for 26 years).

Anyways,they enrolled us with another company called Al Mokaramoon, which I have never heard of,niether any of my friends or relatives.

A day before the Hajj day,my sister in law called me to ask what we have decided with the Hajj,so I told her about this company,she told me that she once preformed Hajj with them,and that they have clean places to sleep and clean toilets(yippie)that was a relief!

The trip to Mina*

The orgnisers told us about the meeting spot in Jiddah,at Crown Plaza hotel,where we had our breakfast(I decided not to eat until I see the toilets at the camp for myself).
The meeting was at 7:30 am on the 8th day of Hajj month(Called Al Tarwiyya day)or in another word,preperation day.
we left Jiddah towards Mina at 9:15am.

Some Hajj Expressions*

LABAYKA: Means at your service(calling it to Allah while going to Mina,Makka and Arafat).

TALBIYA:
Saying 'Labbayk', which means 'At your service' during the hajj.

NIYYA: means intentions.

IHRAM:
1-State of sacredness in which a Muslim performs Hajj and Umra.
2-Garment worn by pilgrims during Hajj and Umra.
The ihram for men are in two pieces, that are without seams. One part covers from the navel to the knees. The other covers the torso, but not the right shoulder. This piece is knotted on the right side. The colour is almost always white,No shoes are allowed, instead sandals are used.

Women's clothing, however, varies considerably and reflects regional as well as religious influences.

White Ihram clothing is intended to make everyone appear the same, as in the eyes of Allah.There are also certain behaviors that are expected and forbidden once ihram is donned.

During the period of sanctification(ihram), sexual activity, shaving, and cutting one's nails all are forbidden in accordance with the pilgrim's special relationship to God during the ihram.
And should refrain from:
-killing animals ,
-using profane language,
-quarelling or fighting,
-taking an oath,
-engaging in sexual activity, in addition to any other regularly prohibited acts. Males should also refrain from looking at women and women should exercise strict modesty in their appearance and not to apply make-up or any other cosmetics,yet a woman in the state of ihram should not cover her face.

JAMARAT: is the place where the devil appeard to Abraham,and therefor we stone him in the same way Abraham did...we throw 7 stones in three diffirent places shouting Allaho Akbar(Allah is the greatest)by that we drill to combat the forces of evil.

TAWAF:circumambulation around the Ka`aba or which consists of circling the Kaaba seven times(The black cube building in the grand mosque of Makka).

TAWAF AL QUODOOM: For Muslims preforming Tamatoo`Hajj it`s optional not a must,when arriving to Makkah for hajj.

TAWAF AL IFADDAH: one of the Hajj pilars,after Tawaf al ifaddah you will be allowed to stop your ihram.

SA`EE : The literal meaning of sa'ee is (effort).
It`s walking between Safa and Marwa hills(it`s indoors now,within the grand mosque of Makka) following the path that Hajar(Abraham`s wife)made when she was searching for water for herself and her baby Ismael.
Also we go back and forth 7 times.

TAHALOL from ihram:
Means to change to regualr clothing and either trim the hair or shave it all(and shaving it is better to follow the path of prophet Mohammad PBUH) for men.
Ladies trim their hair by less than an inch.
This is called Tahalol al asghar(primary tahalol)which allows you to cut your hair,your nails,use perfume,sented soaps,wearing any garment that is comfortable for you as a man.
Still no sexual practice between a man and his wife until they finish Tawaf Alifaddah,then it will be called Tahalol Al Akbar(grand tahalol).

• Pros:Preforming the 5th pilar of Islam
  • Cons:crowded!
  • Last visit to Mina: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 16, 2006

DunaKal

“Travel, as much as you can, as far as you can, as long as you can, life is not meant to be lived in one place. ”

Badges & Stats in Mina