"The capital of the Lone Star State" Top 5 Page for this destination Austin by Djinn76
Austin Travel Guide: 1,156 reviews and 1,682 photos
I have spent November 2003 in Austin, I was working during the week and had the week-ends to discover the area.
At first sight, you could summarise Austin to its capitole and a set of modern concrete building, nothing very exciting...
Even if Austin is far from being a "touristic city", there is however more than that. Take some time, even if the broad straight streets invite you to drive, just walk and try to discover the charming buildings that you would miss from the car...
Even more, staying at Austin, you can do many day trips from there (well, San Antonio would probably an even better place to stay):
- Fredericksburg : A nice little 'german' town
- San Antonio : That's where tourist would go, don't miss the Alamo...
- San Marcos : Mainly for shopping!!
- New Braunfels : A good bet for the hot summers.
- Houston : Already much farther but, eh, if you want to see the NASA...
- Johnson City : Discover President Johnson Ranch and Texas history
- Pedernales Falls park : Nice hiking place...
- Enchanted Rock park : Breathtaking landscape!
I have spent again a couple of days at the end of August - the weather at that time of the year is totally different than what I had enjoyed last November : so bloody hot!!
...and yet the local guys told me that was a mild summer!!
...and I have spent again three weeks in November 2004 in the capital of Texas, just on time for the Halloween party!!
Again same kind of weather as last year :a bit of everything, from mild to rainy!
A few more tips should follow, stay tuned...
I have been staying here last year as well but at that time it was still known as the Wellesley Inn. This time, I was... more travel advice
A local Hooters? Well, here as well, the marketing turns around the waitresses’ legs! However some of their waitresses... more travel advice
Djinn76's Related Pages
Austin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Austin through the eyes of a local"
- "Austin-Off the Beaten Path"
- "Austin: Capital City of Texas"
- "The capital of the Lone Star State"
- "Keep Austin Weird!"
- "South by Southwest-Austin, Texas"
- "Awesome Austin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Austin
- Hotels in Austin
- Transportation in Austin
- Nightlife in Austin
- Restaurants in Austin
- Shopping in Austin
- Warnings and Dangers in Austin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Austin
- 46 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Austin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Austin
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tournai Intro, 72 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 51 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amman Intro, 40 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 46 reviews, 42 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petra Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos
- Budapest Intro, 27 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Brussels Intro, 25 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos