"Tournai, the merovingian capital !!" Top 5 Page for this destination Tournai by Djinn76
Tournai Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 354 photos
I have finally started this page about the town where I grew up...It took a year to get it started and since there is a lot to say, I won't be able to do in one shot, check it regularly for potential updates...
Nowadays, Tournai is just a small provincial town and that's probably why too many people are overlooking it. However, this is the oldest town in Belgium with Tongeren and its past is extremely glorious!!
Known as Fundus Turnacus during the roman times, it later becomes the capital of the Frankish Kingdom, Childeric was one of the famous kings. Clovis, his son, later left Tournai for Paris once he conquered further territories.
Why merovingian? Well, simply because Merovee, the father of Childeric, was the King of Tournai. Since these kings were the root of the french kingdom, many legends exist about their origins. That's probably why we found a mysterious Merovingian in the Wachowski brothers' film (I have always been wondering!!)
In the Middle Age, Tournai was one of the biggest city of France. Closely attached to the french king, the History also saw it English, Spanish, Austrian, Dutch and finally Belgian.
It has been a famous center of painting and tapestry. More recently, in the 18th century, its porcelain was world wide famous.
Today and even if it has been heavily bombed during WW2, what is left from this past glory are the numerous churches and the beautiful buildings. The Cathedral and the Belfry are both on the World Heritage list.
Take some time to discover this city, it's definitely worth it, I'll now try to explain what you can do and see...
* 3-4 January : snowy WE, I took a few pictures of the classical must-see
* 10 January :
Aqua-tournai and visit to the Archeology museum
* 5 february : Casterman, CCB, ...
* 15 february : small walk : Fort Rouge, a couple of churches and houses
* 27-28 march : the sun is back (at least for a WE) - many new pictures (must see and travelogue)
* 10 april : grey and rainy WE, few nightlife tips and begining of the bronze statues hunting...
* may: few improvements - new pictures - 4 corteges, more to come
* 27 june: VT meeting
* 3d july Completed the bronze statues travelogue - Lan party - Arche de Noe
* 19th August: Couple of new tips/pictures - biking around.
* 28th August: New beer/brewerie
Coming to Tournai from London, the Eurostar would definitely make more sense than the plane! No need to go to Bruxelles,... more travel advice
Even if Tournai is located in the mainland, it is still possible to practice sailing… “Le grand Large de Peronnes” is... more travel advice
- See All Keep it secret...
- See All For a good lunch!
- See All St George Tower
- See All A few hotels
Djinn76's Related Pages
Tournai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tournai, the merovingian capital !!"
- "TOURNAI IS THE OLDEST CITY IN BELGIUM"
- "A city with a lot of history!"
- "Tournai (in flemisch "Doornik")"
- "VT-meeting Tournai"
- "Historic Tournai - ?oldest town in Belgium"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tournai
- Hotels in Tournai
- Transportation in Tournai
- Nightlife in Tournai
- Restaurants in Tournai
- Shopping in Tournai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tournai
- 72 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 18 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Tournai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tournai
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tournai Intro, 72 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 51 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amman Intro, 40 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 46 reviews, 42 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petra Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos
- Budapest Intro, 27 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Brussels Intro, 25 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos