"The Nabataean City" Top 5 Page for this destination Petra by Djinn76
Petra Travel Guide: 981 reviews and 2,516 photos
The Nabataeans appear in the 6th century BC. They were mainly merchants who knew what they were doing. They started dealing with myrrh, incense and spices.
Three products Greeks and Romans were particularly fond of!
They also had the monoply of the asphaltum extracted from the Death See. It was then used, not for the road systems but to momify corpses.
They establish Petra as their capital. It was perfectly located between Damascus, Gaza Hedjaz, Egypts,...
So much wealth obviosuly excited the neighbors but the Nabateans resisted against the Macedonian and even the Romans. These last ones, since they were unable to defeat the Nabateans simply decided to strangle them commercially!
Apparently that worked out and this wonderful civilisation slowly declined. In the coming centuries Petra was slowly forgotten and only inhabited by the Bedouins....
In the 19th century, it was rediscovered by Johan Ludwig Burckardt, a swiss converted to Islam who pretexted a pilgrimage to Aaron Mount!
I've discovered this 8th marvel of the world following my stay in Amman, in mid-october.
It was the perfect time for it! At this time of the year, the weather is still quite hot but not too hot.
Even if Jordan is quite a safe country, war in Irak and troubles in Israel are scaring many tourists and they don't dare to come anymore. This is quite bad for the local people who are now dependent on tourism. Even if it is a bit selfish, this is however perfect, you can easily get alone, far from the crowd, in this wonderful site!
The Rammadan was starting as well, that means that around 5pm, even the Bedouins were leaving the site, you could then really be on your own...
The only drawback is that the days were quite short, it was getting dark around 6pm!! Even worse, Jordan had decided to shift the time change so that it matches the beginning of Rammadan... Well, that was a good deal for the muslims who were fastening, they could start eating much earlier...
- Pros:8th marvel of the world !!
- Cons:Bedouins have lost their soul...
- In a nutshell:Treasure, Monastery, High Place and many more...
A visit to Petra can be quite modular : 1) Walk through the siq to the Treasury and come back -> you could take the... more travel advice
Well, not really a restaurant since I was invited in a private house! I still don't know what was the reason, if they... more travel advice
Djinn76's Related Pages
Petra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Petra : the city of the caravans"
- "Petra: a wonderful town"
- "A love story with Petra"
- "The Nabataean City"
- "Petra - a highlight of Jordan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Petra
- Hotels in Petra
- Transportation in Petra
- Nightlife in Petra
- Restaurants in Petra
- Shopping in Petra
- Warnings and Dangers in Petra
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Petra
- 37 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Petra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petra
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tournai Intro, 72 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 51 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amman Intro, 40 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 46 reviews, 42 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petra Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos
- Budapest Intro, 27 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Brussels Intro, 25 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (8)
Latest Petra hotel reviews
- Taybet Zaman Hotel and Resort
- 236 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Petra Movenpick
- 1062 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Petra Palace
- 254 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Grand View Resort Petra
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2013
- Crowne Plaza Resort Petra
- 222 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Amra Palace Hotel
- 561 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- El Rashid Hotel
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Moevenpick Nabatean Castle Hotel
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013
- Valentine Inn
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013