"Gerasa, an antic city" Top 5 Page for this destination Jarash by Djinn76
Jarash Travel Guide: 181 reviews and 636 photos
According to the legend the city was founded by Alexander the Great (yes, the same as the one in the movie) around the 4th century BC but in reality people were living here far before that.
The city has been particularly wealthy during its Greek time. It has later been independent and part of the Decapolis, this was an association between 10 cities of the area: Scythopolis (Bet She'an), Hippos (Susieh), Gadara (Umm Qais), Pella (Tabaqat Fahl), Philadelphia (Amman), Gerasa (Jerash), Dion (Adun), Kanatha (Kanawat), Damascus, and Raphana (Abila).
During the first two centuries, following the conquest of the whole area by the Roman emperor Trajan, the city enjoy the Pax Romana and become even more wealthy.
Lots of building have been built following the visit of Hadrian, another roman emperor in the 2nd century...
Following this glorious period, the city start declining : successive wars, sacking and earthquake will turn this marvel into ruins...
Located 50km north of Amman, this is supposed to be the second most visited site of Jordan after Petra.
Not too sure why but when I visited it, a friday at the end of september, it was almost deserted...
It won't complain, it was a pure pleasure to wander almost alone in the rest of this ancient city and imagine its splendor...
You can easily spend one, two ore even more hours inside the site! You have to know that except for the ruins there is... more travel advice
Located outside the touristic site, this was probably the biggest building of the city : 245 meters large, 51 meter... more travel advice
Djinn76's Related Pages
Jarash Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A wonderful Roman town in Jordan"
- "Don't miss this!"
- "Gerasa, an antic city"
- "Jerash, The Ancient Roman City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jarash
- Hotels in Jarash
- Transportation in Jarash
- Restaurants in Jarash
- Warnings and Dangers in Jarash
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jarash
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Jarash?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jarash
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tournai Intro, 72 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 51 reviews, 67 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amman Intro, 40 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 46 reviews, 42 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petra Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos
- Budapest Intro, 27 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rhodes (Island) Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Brussels Intro, 25 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Antonio Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos