"Osaka, Capital of Water" Osaka by MINOSUKE
Osaka Travel Guide: 873 reviews and 2,517 photos
Osaka was once called the capital of water. A lot ot rivers ran through Osaka before the 20th century. It is said that there used to be more than 800 bridges in Osaka. After the Meiji era many of the rivers and canals were reclaimed and changed into land. But we still enjoy the scenary of rivers and bridges in many places. This is one of those bridges.
This tower is in the middle of downtown near Tennoji Zoo and it is one of the symbols of Osaka. Though it is not so high, Osakans love this tower and I love it, too.
The area around Tsutenkaku is called 'Shinsekai (New World)". There are many 'kushikatsu' restaurant there. Kushikatsu is morsels of seafood, meat and vegetables skewered and deep fried. I sometimes feel like eating kushikatsu very much and go to Shinsekai with my husband.
I am going to make a kushikatsu restaurant tip later.
Ebessan is a nickname of Imamiya Ebisu Shrine near Tsutenkaku.
On January 9th - 11th, those who want to succeed in commerce or those who want to be rich go and pray to Seven Deities of Good Fortune at this shrine. You will find people carrying bamboo grass with beautiful ornaments. The bamboo grass is a good-luck charm. The small site of the shrine is so crowded then. And along the streets to the shrine, there are hundreds of street stalls! You can enjoy the stalls. Of course you don't have to buy anything. All you have to do is enjoy the atmosphere.
- Pros:Osaka is friendly.
- Cons:Osaka people are not made of flour.
- In a nutshell:Osaka is not so bad.
Kushikatsu is deep fried meat, seafood and vegetables cooked on skewers. We eat kushikatsu with ooster sauce. A big bowl... more travel advice
In Osaka, there are many restaurants which serve Okinawan food. But I think Yamaneko is the best! Yamaneko is located... more travel advice
MINOSUKE's Related Pages
Osaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Living in Osaka"
- "Hundertwasser & more !"
- "Memories of Osaka JAPAN"
- "Osaka: The Manchester of Asia"
- "Osaka - my home for three and a half years"
- "The Anti-Japan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Osaka
- Hotels in Osaka
- Transportation in Osaka
- Nightlife in Osaka
- Restaurants in Osaka
- Shopping in Osaka
- Warnings and Dangers in Osaka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Osaka
- 4 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Osaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Osaka
Photos in OsakaSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Taipei Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos
- New York City Intro, 8 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nara-ken Intro, 7 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zhuhai Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macao Intro, 6 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pusan Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shanghai Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos
- Osaka Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Kobe Intro, 2 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 3 reviews, 18 photos