"Lake Biwa, the biggest lake in Japan" Shiga-ken by MINOSUKE
Shiga-ken Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 132 photos
Shiga-ken (Shiga Prefecture) lies east to Kyoto Prefecture. Lake Biwa occupies one sixth of the area of Shiga-ken. In many ways this lake influences the people in Shiga-ken and Kinki District including Kyoto-fu and Osaka-fu.
This is a view from Zenryuji Temple, Omihachiman. You can go up to this temple by ropeway.
Omihachiman City is on the south-eastern coast of Lake Biwa. This is a very beautiful city. In a questionaire survey sent out a few years ago, Omihachiman was chosen the best city to walk around with your dearest person. In this city remain old Japanese scenary or old Japanese rows of houses. The picture is that or Hachimanbori Canal where many Japanese Samurai dramas and movies hold their location shoots.
Hikone City is a little north to Omihachiman and it lies on the eastern coast of Lake Biwa.
Hikone Castle is known by its beautiful shape. Together with Himeji Castle, it is designated as a National Treasure of Japan.
Hikone Castle is known by its very beautiful shape. The contrast of the black roofs and white walls of the castle tower... more travel advice
The area around Lake Biwa had been called 'Omi' until the Meiji era (until 1867). So there are many cities and towns... more travel advice
MINOSUKE's Related Pages
Shiga-ken Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lake Biwa, the biggest lake in Japan"
- "The Miho Museum"
- "SHIGA : my hometown"
- "My Shiga-ken"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shiga-ken
- Hotels in Shiga-ken
- Transportation in Shiga-ken
- Restaurants in Shiga-ken
- Warnings and Dangers in Shiga-ken
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Shiga-ken
- 5 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Shiga-ken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shiga-ken
Top 10 Pages
- Taipei Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos
- New York City Intro, 8 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nara-ken Intro, 7 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zhuhai Intro, 6 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macao Intro, 6 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pusan Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shanghai Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos
- Osaka Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Kobe Intro, 2 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 3 reviews, 18 photos