"More than the beaches" Basse-Normandie by filip007
Basse-Normandie Travel Guide: 1,676 reviews and 5,324 photos
Nothing beats Normandy for family vacation (at least for me). I came there for the first time when I was 3 years old and kept coming regularly back. And now taking there both my daughters since 6 months old...
Why Normandy? Empty beaches with lots of sand, great tides, plenty of historical sites to visit, perfect terrain for cycling and a generally laid back atmosphere. (Of course the fact that my parents purchased the house we first were in 30 years ago from our friends helps also :-))
If you do not mind the occasional rain and wind (that almost never lasts), Normandy could be the choice for you.
And the food... Nothing beats good cider on a sunny day. And if you ever taste lamb from "pres sales" - salted pastures, you will never want go back to any other one...
Basse Normandie is mainly visited in connection with D-Day landings. But it deserves much more thorough visit. Even history does not limit itself to D-Day, but stretches much further - what other country gave birth to two conquerors that became kings? William of course - Duke who became king of England. But what about the sons of Tancrede (12 of them actually) who carved up their kingdom of Sicily and Naples? Or the sight of stone churches in every village, ressembling fortress towers. And of course Mont Saint Michel, a wonder of the world...
Out of the four Normandy departments, Manche is the farthest from Paris and least visited (if you except Mont Saint Michel, often visited from Brittany). The calmness is one of its main charms, many parisians just driving north to Deauville-Trouville.
Besides Mont Saint Michel, it is unique for its biggest coastal tides in Europe, a series of 8 havres or harbours - natural harbours created where a river runs through dunes to the sea linked to high tides and great sunsets - you got a large stretch of coastline facing west...
While the coastline is predominantly flat and dominated by the beaches and sand dunes, it becomes more rugged when... more travel advice
The reason to come to Normandy. The abbey was founded in 8th century on Mont-Tombe, a small rock in the middle of the... more travel advice
filip007's Related Pages
Basse-Normandie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "World War Two battlefields"
- "Normandy, a turbulent piece of Europa"
- "Islands, Tapestrys, Beaches & History"
- "The D-Day Beaches and Museums"
- "On and Off the Road in Normandie"
- "From the Vikings to the D-Day"
- "The D-Day Landing Beaches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Basse-Normandie
- Hotels in Basse-Normandie
- Transportation in Basse-Normandie
- Nightlife in Basse-Normandie
- Restaurants in Basse-Normandie
- Shopping in Basse-Normandie
- Warnings and Dangers in Basse-Normandie
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Basse-Normandie
- 27 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Basse-Normandie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Basse-Normandie
Photos in Basse-NormandieSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Basse-Normandie Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 25 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadeloupe Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- Naples Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khabarovsk Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Moscow Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sergiyev Posad Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Arkhangel'skoye Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Jersey Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Caserta Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.
Top Basse-Normandie hotels
- Caen Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 374 Photos
- Bayeux Hotels
- 189 Reviews - 558 Photos
- Cherbourg Hotels
- 86 Reviews - 240 Photos
- Honfleur Hotels
- 131 Reviews - 447 Photos
- Mont Saint Michel Hotels
- 302 Reviews - 985 Photos
- Deauville-les-Bains Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Crépon Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 8 Photos
- Vierville-sur-Mer Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 24 Photos
- Courseulles-sur-Mer Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 40 Photos
- Arromanches-les-Bains Hotels
- 27 Reviews - 105 Photos
- Lisieux Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 43 Photos
- Granville Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Villers-sur-Mer Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 38 Photos
- Villedieu-les-Poëles Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 19 Photos
- Vessey Hotels
- 1 Hotel