"Me And This Wonderful Land" toontraveller's Profile

Me, myself and I

Hi there Travellers.

My name is Richard, I'm 33 and I live in Newcastle upon Tyne, the North East of Englands most happening city. I love this city - everything about it (well, almost).

It is now a modern city that began over 900 years ago and is filled with history, archetechture, places to go and places to be seen, shopping galore, Europes best night life, a fantastic thriving quayside and my beloved Newcastle United football team. The city has almost everything a traveller to britain could want close by SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!

Hope you enjoy my pages and yes, the rumours are true! I do occasionally update this stuff but I seem to spend more time enjoying everyone elses travells *(:->

Happy Holidays

I love travelling but the last few years have been pretty quiet for me with regards to overseas trips. Still I do like to get around this country as there is so much to see and so much to do. My second home is the Lake District which is idyllic. I love going there whenever I can otherwise just about anywhere will do.

I have a whole load of stuff to write about on past trips but I just can't find the time at the minute so you'll just have to keep checking from time to time. In the mean time you might like to know a little about my home town

Meet the Geordies

The modern Newcastle was named after the castle built for Robert II, the eldest son of William the Conqueror but the early towns roots go back to Roman times when Emperor Hadrian built a Castle here and began work on the Roman Wall to keep the Scots out.
The Roman Wall runs from Wallsend in Newcastle to Carlisle in Cumbria and is a World Herriatage Site. I used to live only 100 feet away from the wall.

The city has undergone many transformations since Roman times but the most important ones are of the industrial type that shaped the City as it is today.

The North East was home to many of the Great British Industrialists such as George Stephenson, the father of the railways, William Armstrong, the engineer and inventer who discovered hydro electricity and Joseph Swan, inventor of the light bulb and pioneer of photography. Because of the importance of industry in Newcastle the town grew to become what it is today.

So why are we called Geordies. Well when the North East was made up of coal the miners who worked the mines began to carry the newly invented miners safety lamps. At this time they had a choice of the "Davy" lamp invented by Sir Humphry Davy or the "Geordie" lamp invented by George Stephenson. Well us Geordies stick together so we adopted the geordie lamp and the name stuck ever since.

Q. Where's the party?

A. Everywhere!

If you are looking for a city whith a bit of atmosphere and a night life to remember then look no further. Newcastle has it all. We have more pubs, bars and clubs per square mile than any other city in the UK. There is something here for everyone from the quiet out of town "local" pubs to the world famous bars and clubs of the city centre. Newcastle is home to the UKs first floating night club, the Tuxedo Princess, an ex cruise ship which is moored on the river Tyne and a number of other top class night clubs. We have a place called the Bigg Market which is not for the faint hearted!. This is where a geordies drinking days begin ( at about 14 yrs!) and is full of bars, restaurants an food places. The Haymarket area of town is popular with older drinkers and students as are the pubs by the central station. There are a lot of very posh designer bars scattered around which get busy when people finish work for the day and a few not so posh bars where the music seems to stop when you walk in!. There are a few busy drinking areas just out of town such as the busy Gosforth High Street and the Thriving, cosmopolitan Osbourn Road in Jesmond. Then there is the Quayside area down by the River Tyne. Billions of pounds have been spent on this area in the last decade and this is one of the places to be seen. You can walk along the beautiful riverside on a pub crawl from early evening to the early hours, get some food and then go home after a hard night (if you can remember where home is!)

• Intro Updated Apr 3, 2005

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM

My dear friend i hope you had a great birthday and you are doing well. Hugs Nat

• CEP1863's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Richard, wishing you a very happy birthday.

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Sorry i missed your birthaday. I hope you had a good time. Hugs. Nat

• agha1963khan's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Hi Richard Happy Birth Day. During my search i found ur name & address & this is the only reason to send u the birth day wish because my lot of family members live in Newcastle upon tyne at 15 shipley fenham street take care regards AGHA

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Nice meeting you in today's birthday list. A warm happy birthday greet to you from Malaysia. Wish you good luck, healthy and wealthy to keep on travelling, and keep on more VT sharing too.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Happy Birthday. PJ

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Thanks for you postcard ;-)

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Happy Birthay my friend :-) All the best! Nat

• kopwint's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Happy and free in your days of winter and get all what you want in you birthday wish from BURMA Are you a fan of NCUFC?

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
toontraveller's Profile Photo

toontraveller

“Right, i'm off to play - who's coming?”

Real Name