"Me And This Wonderful Land" toontraveller's Profile
Hi there Travellers.
My name is Richard, I'm 33 and I live in Newcastle upon Tyne, the North East of Englands most happening city. I love this city - everything about it (well, almost).
It is now a modern city that began over 900 years ago and is filled with history, archetechture, places to go and places to be seen, shopping galore, Europes best night life, a fantastic thriving quayside and my beloved Newcastle United football team. The city has almost everything a traveller to britain could want close by SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!
Hope you enjoy my pages and yes, the rumours are true! I do occasionally update this stuff but I seem to spend more time enjoying everyone elses travells *(:->
I love travelling but the last few years have been pretty quiet for me with regards to overseas trips. Still I do like to get around this country as there is so much to see and so much to do. My second home is the Lake District which is idyllic. I love going there whenever I can otherwise just about anywhere will do.
I have a whole load of stuff to write about on past trips but I just can't find the time at the minute so you'll just have to keep checking from time to time. In the mean time you might like to know a little about my home town
The modern Newcastle was named after the castle built for Robert II, the eldest son of William the Conqueror but the early towns roots go back to Roman times when Emperor Hadrian built a Castle here and began work on the Roman Wall to keep the Scots out.
The Roman Wall runs from Wallsend in Newcastle to Carlisle in Cumbria and is a World Herriatage Site. I used to live only 100 feet away from the wall.
The city has undergone many transformations since Roman times but the most important ones are of the industrial type that shaped the City as it is today.
The North East was home to many of the Great British Industrialists such as George Stephenson, the father of the railways, William Armstrong, the engineer and inventer who discovered hydro electricity and Joseph Swan, inventor of the light bulb and pioneer of photography. Because of the importance of industry in Newcastle the town grew to become what it is today.
So why are we called Geordies. Well when the North East was made up of coal the miners who worked the mines began to carry the newly invented miners safety lamps. At this time they had a choice of the "Davy" lamp invented by Sir Humphry Davy or the "Geordie" lamp invented by George Stephenson. Well us Geordies stick together so we adopted the geordie lamp and the name stuck ever since.
If you are looking for a city whith a bit of atmosphere and a night life to remember then look no further. Newcastle has it all. We have more pubs, bars and clubs per square mile than any other city in the UK. There is something here for everyone from the quiet out of town "local" pubs to the world famous bars and clubs of the city centre. Newcastle is home to the UKs first floating night club, the Tuxedo Princess, an ex cruise ship which is moored on the river Tyne and a number of other top class night clubs. We have a place called the Bigg Market which is not for the faint hearted!. This is where a geordies drinking days begin ( at about 14 yrs!) and is full of bars, restaurants an food places. The Haymarket area of town is popular with older drinkers and students as are the pubs by the central station. There are a lot of very posh designer bars scattered around which get busy when people finish work for the day and a few not so posh bars where the music seems to stop when you walk in!. There are a few busy drinking areas just out of town such as the busy Gosforth High Street and the Thriving, cosmopolitan Osbourn Road in Jesmond. Then there is the Quayside area down by the River Tyne. Billions of pounds have been spent on this area in the last decade and this is one of the places to be seen. You can walk along the beautiful riverside on a pub crawl from early evening to the early hours, get some food and then go home after a hard night (if you can remember where home is!)
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 79 Reviews
- 156 Photos
- 7 Countries
- 14 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- toontraveller and sabsi are now friends.
- Commented on Keonaona's profile page
- Wrote a Review A Walk In The Park in York Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Walk In The Park"
- created a Honolulu Travel Page "Honolulu - Playground of the rich and fortunate"
- Posted in Travel Hilo Forum "RE: RE: Visiting the observatories"
updated their Personal Page "Back on the road again"
PhotosSee All Photos (156)
Top 10 Pages
- Lake District National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Orlando Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- York Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos
- Palma de Mallorca Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Alfara de Algimia Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Montpellier Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Scarborough Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22479 Reviews - 55020 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23320 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2028 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3098 Reviews - 5880 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26762 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos