"My Love Affair with Nepal" Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal by into-thin-air
Nepal Travel Guide: 4,224 reviews and 11,904 photos
My Love Affair with Nepal started back in 1994 when I bought an old Landrover, put together a small group and drove from Cumbria (UK) to Kathmandu, since then I have returned a further nine times and am Hoping to return soon for trip number Eleven :-)
Since my first visit I have fallen in love with both the country and its people, Nepal is one of the poorest countries in the world, but as little as the people there have, they are nearly always willing to share it with you. So in 2004 I started my own little enterprise, Pro-Tector to try, in my own small way to help.
In the following Pages, Tips and Travelogues below I will attempt to pass on my own experiences in Nepal to try to also encourage and help future visitors to the Beautiful yet sometimes troubled country.
For those interested, my individual trips and top recommendations are written up in the travelogues, In the Nepal Travel Tips Sections I have tried to explain procedures for arriving in Nepal, Ideas for Trekking along with permit requirements and reviews of the different styles available, Rafting on some of Nepal’s Awesome rivers, What to try to see when you are visiting Nepal including the world heritage sites as well as the National Parks, Transportation ideas and options and reviews of hotels and restaurants that I have used plus many other bits and pieces that I think might well be of use to visitors to Nepal.
Nepal is a wonderful country to visit and overall is a very safe destination, the people are some of the nicest that I have met anywhere in the world and the scenery is to die for – However there are some pitfalls and I have also tried to mention these but if there is something that I have missed or extra information that you require then Please feel free to drop me a line and I will do my very best to answer you.
November 2015 - I am continuing to update my own thoughts on the Big Question facing many travellers with trips booked to Nepal as to “Whether to go or Not” as fresh information comes to light post Nepal Earthquakes
Things have improved a lot over these past months and Nepal is once again ready for trekkers and travellers – However, everyone heading to Nepal should keep their plans reasonably flexible as all the trekking areas aren’t open for business yet and there is still damage to many of the World Heritage sites, but at least they have all now reopened for visitors - This Link gives more info
As some of you will have no doubt read, Nepal is now suffering a fuel crisis, this is something that they could have done without, but Nepal does seem to have a tendency to lurch from one crisis to another – Some international flights have been cancelled, others re-routed, so if you can still get to Nepal, personally, this fuel crisis wouldn’t stop me going, but it has effected Nepal with steep rises in both taxi and internal airfares – So again, the message is be flexible and allow yourself plenty of time, especially getting back to Kathmandu for your international flight home
Many of Nepal's famous trekking areas have again reopened and these include all the routes in and around the Annapurna’s, Everest Base Camp routes however, Langtang remains closed (But there has been one report suggesting that The Tamang Heritage trail has recently reopened, details on This Link and there are mixed reports about Manaslu
Most of the hotels are fully open including Kathmandu Embassy Hotel which is my own recommendation as well as most tourist business, shops, transportation and infrastructure
Trekking and visitor numbers are expected to be well down this year, so, if you are thinking of heading to Nepal then the 2015 autumn season will be a good option for you to go because, apart from the wonderful welcome that you are guaranteed to receive, you will also be helping the people of this beautiful country to get on with their lives and finish off rebuilding their country after these appalling disasters
Thanks So Much for taking the time to read this and, as always, if you need further info, please feel free to send me a message
Best Regards and Happy Safe Travels to Nepal
- Pros:Nepal is my Favourite Country -- So anything I could say here would be a bit biased !!!
- Cons:It is True that Nepal does have it's fair share of political problems now - " But It IS still Safe for the Tourist in My Opinion " !!
- In a nutshell:The Diversity of this country will always amaze me, Mountains, National Parks, Rivers to Raft and Wonderful Ancient Cities to visit !!
This is a short introductory teahouse trek for people with around 1 week trekking schedule – It isn’t an arduous trek... more travel advice
I can’t overemphasize The Importance of Insurance for your Trekking Staff, especially if you have decided to hire... more travel advice
- See All Ideas for Day Trips from Kathmandu
- See All Service Charges and Taxes
- See All Peak Fees
- See All Average Numbers arriving in Nepal
- See All Serving good food for more than 20 years
- See All Getting from Kathmandu to Pokhara
into-thin-air's Related Pages
Nepal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Love Affair with Nepal"
- "The Himalayan Kingdom"
- "Namaste, Naya Nepal!"
- "..dramatic nepal.."
- "Nepal, A country I have to visit again : and I did"
- "Nepal, Culture & Trekking"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nepal
- Hotels in Nepal
- Transportation in Nepal
- Nightlife in Nepal
- Restaurants in Nepal
- Shopping in Nepal
- Warnings and Dangers in Nepal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nepal
- 362 Reviews
- 1,058 Photos
- 937 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Nepal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nepal
- Posted in Travel Khumbu Himal Forum "Re: Current situation regarding..."
- Wrote a Review New take on the old Jomsom Trek about Trekking in Nepal Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "New take on the old Jomsom Trek"
- Commented on one of into-thin-air's Nepal travelogues
- updated a Nepal Travelogue ""The Enlightened Tourist""
- Commented on the Nepal travel guide
- Uploaded a Video to Nepal
Videos in NepalSee All Videos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 346 reviews, 953 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 127 reviews, 435 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cantabria Intro, 79 reviews, 248 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 58 reviews, 233 photos, 11 travelogues
- England Intro, 38 reviews, 178 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 100 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bilbao Intro, 46 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Catalunya Intro, 30 reviews, 136 photos
- Granada Intro, 40 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zaragoza Intro, 31 reviews, 120 photos