"My Love Affair with Nepal" Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal by into-thin-air

Nepal Travel Guide: 4,144 reviews and 11,285 photos

Overview

My Love Affair with Nepal started back in 1994 when I bought an old Landrover, put together a small group and drove from Cumbria (UK) to Kathmandu, since then I have returned a further ten times and am Hoping to return in the spring of 2015 for trip number Eleven :-)

Since my first visit I have fallen in love with both the country and its people, Nepal is one of the poorest countries in the world, but as little as the people there have, they are nearly always willing to share it with you. So in 2004 I started my own little enterprise, Pro-Tector to try, in my own small way to help.

In the following Pages, Tips and Travelogues below I will attempt to pass on my own experiences in Nepal to try to also encourage and help future visitors to the Beautiful yet sometimes troubled country.

For those interested, my individual trips and top recommendations are written up in the travelogues, In the Nepal Travel Tips Sections I have tried to explain procedures for arriving in Nepal, Ideas for Trekking along with permit requirements and reviews of the different styles available, Rafting on some of Nepal’s Awesome rivers, What to try to see when you are visiting Nepal including the world heritage sites as well as the national Parks, Transportation ideas and options and reviews of hotels and restaurants that I have used plus many other bits and pieces that I think might well be of use to visitors to Nepal.
Nepal is a wonderful country to visit and overall is a very safe destination, the people are some of the nicest that I have met anywhere in the world and the scenery is to die for – However there are some pitfalls and I have also tried to mention these but if there is something that I have missed or extra information that you require then Please feel free to drop me a line and I will do my very best to answer you.

• Pros:Nepal is my Favourite Country -- So anything I could say here would be a bit biased !!!
  • Cons:It is True that Nepal does have it's fair share of political problems now - " But It IS still Safe for the Tourist in My Opinion " !!
  • In a nutshell:The Diversity of this country will always amaze me, Mountains, National Parks, Rivers to Raft and Wonderful Ancient Cities to visit !!
  • Last visit to Nepal: Apr 2010
  • Intro Updated Nov 9, 2014

• Oct 22, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Rob:

Just reading about the Annapurna Circuit and am seriously considering doing the trek. You mentioned above that you know of places to rent good quality, clean equipment such as backpacks and sleeping bags. Can you please provide me with the name and contact info of those companies. Also, have you heard anything good/bad about 3 Sisters Adventure Trekking company? I am considering booking the trek with them. Have heard good things about the ABC trek. Which would you recommend the most - Circuit or ABC?

• Oct 29, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Hello!
      Your travel stories are very inspirig! We plan to trek AC and we are looking for someone to organize it.
      I tried to send an email to Nirmal but seems to have problems with the current email address. Do you know if he has an alternative email address?
      Thanks a lot!

Yiannis from Athens,Greece

Oct 29, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Sorry to hear that you are having problems in contacting Nirmal – He can be a bit on the slow side at answering his emails, especially at this time of the year which is peek season – In fact I am also awaiting a reply from him – But one thing I can say is that once you are in Nepal, he will definitely look after you very well, so if your emails are bouncing back, just try again in another day or so – Please let me know how it all goes and if you are in Nepal next Spring, I hope to be there then myself, so we might bump into each-other
      Best Regards

• Aug 11, 2014 at 12:40 AM

Hi mate,

I'm visiting Nepal in mid-September with 2 mates. We are keen on flying to Lukla and trekking to Namche then trekking back down and flying back to Kathmandu. However, we probably only have 4 days to do this in. Do you think this schedule would be unrealistic:
    Day 1 - fly to Lukla then trek to Monjo (or Phakding, which would you recommend?)
    Day 2 - trek to Namchee
    Day 3 - trek back to Monjo or Phakding
    Day 4 - trek to Lukla and fly back to Kathmandu (how late do flights run during the day?)

Would it be easy to book the flights the day before (which is when we arrive in Kathmandu) or is there a decent way to book online before we go?
    Also I've read a lot about flight delays to and from Lukla is this actually very likely during this time of year?
    It isn't completely necessary to get a guide either is it?

I have read a few of your reviews on shorter treks, which we could probably fit in more easily but we are all very keen on this one and are all fairly fit.

Thanks heaps for the help,
    Chris

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Hi Chris
      Thanks for your message and No Problem – Pleased to be of help
      Please drop me a line when you return from your trek and let me know how it all went
      Best Regards and Happy Safe Trekking

• Oct 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Hey Rob,

Just got back from our trip. Nepal was awesome!

The trek went well. Although we did it a little different to what you suggested. We had the first flight to Lukla so started trekking at about 730. We ended up walking all the way to Namche that day as we felt pretty good and were making good time. The next day we went for a walk around the top of Namche, wasn't sure where the Panorama Hotel was so we didn't get there, unfortunately it was a cloudy day anyway, then walked down to Chhumowa. Then on our last day we had the final walk from there to Lukla. This meant we had a fair bit of time in Namche and Lukla to explore the towns. We had an 830 flight the next morning, unfortunately all flights were canceled that day. There were a few people that were chartering a helicopter so we jumped on that for US$200 and were refunded all of our US$165 from our travel agent for the canceled flight when we arrived back in Kathmandu.

Thanks,
      Chris

• Jul 29, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Hi,

Understood that you are a Nepal expert then we appreciate your advices for our trip in Nov. Becoz it's the peak time in Nepal then we should prepare carefully.

We a group of 10 ppl, have 9 days and want to charter a bus to spin around Kathmandu Valley and Pokhara. We are also photo lovers and we want to do a light trek 2-3 days to enjoy culture and the view of mountains. We are only know Poon Hill as a suitable destination. Pls help us on:
    - Trusted agencies on vehicle providers and trek tour organizer.
    - If not Poon Hill, is there any routes with light trek but beautiful views?
    - Pls advise on some mid range hotels for 10 ppl in this peak time. We want to book asap.

Appreciate you support!!!
    Thanks.
    Jamie

• Jun 8, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Hi there,

I am travelling to Nepal in Sept for a 19 day trek of EBC and Goyko Lakes. After that, my party of 6 will be leaving Nepal straight away. I have the option of staying on for another 3 weeks or coming back with them. The only downside is it will cost another $1000 to change my flights to travel back 3 weeks later!

Just wondering if it is worth staying on for another three weeks or not considering I will have already been hiking for 19 days previously? If so, where would you recommend visiting? I will be by myself at this point...is there plenty of other people around that I could tag along with?

Also, would you suggest booking in any tours etc now for after the trek, or just wait and take everything as it comes?

Cheers,

Chelsea

• Aug 19, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for your reply - happy to say that I have paid the extra and am now in Nepal for 6 weeks ... very excited!!

I have taken on board your advice on the visa in one of your forums and will just get the 30day one, and extend the rest in Pohkara for $30...assuming this is guaranteed extension though and I wont be told I cant extend and therefore have to leave?!

Have looked into rafting, jungle safaris, annapurna hikes and possibly a yoga retreat (do you know much about these?) so I definitely wont be stuck for things to do in the final three weeks. Are there any particular companies you would recommend for these?

Finally, I will be in Nepal in the Dashain Festival - have you been there during that time before, and if so what would you recommend doing and where would you recommend staying during this festival? And would jungle safaris/rafting etc still be operating during this time or does everythign close down?

Cheers,

Chelsea

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Hi again Chelsea
      No Problems – Pleased to be of help
      I have never heard of anyone being refused a visa extension, it’s a quick and simple procedure, especially in Pokhara - "Extending your visa in Pokhara" - Nepal Local Custom Tip by into-thin-air
      The “Best Advice” I can give you on deciding the things to do in your extra time is to read Nepal Things to Do Tips by into-thin-air and if you need more info, come back and I will do my best to answer any further questions
      Sorry – I always go to Nepal in the Spring (In the past I have been in the winter too) so I have never been there for the Dashain Festival – But as it is in the middle of the trekking season and Nepal is full of visitors, other than some issues with crowded transportation, you won’t have any problems with any activities you might choose to do

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

• Mar 12, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Hi Rob, I'm will visit Nepal in Apr. Know that we need apply TIMS & ACAP to trek in Poon Hill, any advise how I can get both permit the cheapest way? I got some information that apply via agensi is cheaper, is it true?
    My flight arrive Fri noon and will depart to Pokhara Sat, is it possible to get both permit on Sat when we arrive Pokhara?
    Thanks a lot

• Feb 20, 2014 at 9:33 AM

HI Rob. I'm going to bring a group (10 or so) in advance of a mission trip in November. We're looking to come in early and spend 2-3 days sightseeing around Kathmandu. Any direction appreciated.

Perry

• Feb 20, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Hey thanks. I'll check it out. Right now I see airfare between the US and Nepal running $1000 to $2000 in November. Do you have any thoughts on what fares usually run? Wondering whether a $1200 fare is something to jump on.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Sorry Perry – I live in the UK so have no ideas of prices of airfares from the US to Nepal ;-)
      But having said that $1200 sounds very Cheap !!!

• Feb 13, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Hi Rob...

Planning my third visit to Nepal in October/November. Your various write-ups have been of great use on previous trips - thanks. Would love to trek in the Upper Dolpo region, but reading conflicting advise on whether this is realistic in November due to heavy snowfall on passes. If all went well, I'd expect to go over Jyanta La in the 2nd week of November. Thoughts?

Best wishes,

Dan

• Feb 15, 2014 at 4:05 AM

Thanks Rob....

Suspect I'll end up giving it a go. Used HMA last year around Manaslu/Tsum and was very happy, so will drop Nirmal a line.

Best wishes,

Dan

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:18 AM

Hi Dan – Sound like a Good Plan to me :-)
      Please keep me in the loop to how your plans progress and I look forwards to hearing about your trek on your safe return
      Best Regards

• Feb 12, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Hi Rob,

We are visiting Nepal in March 2014. We are from Sabah, Malaysia. Can we get visitors visa at Kathmandu Airport? and is it easy to get? and how much? we are visiting the foot of mount everest? how far do we have to walk? what is the temperature like in Kathmandu in March?

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:33 AM

No Problem
      The trek to Everest Base Camp usually take about 2 weeks, Kathmandu to Kathmandu.
      Temperatures in March – Daytimes are usually quite warm, but when the sun goes down temperatures plummet, so warm clothes for the evenings are required
      For the rest see
      Nepal Transportation Tips by into-thin-air
      And if you have further questions, drop me a line

Good Luck

• Jan 26, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Hi Rob,
    I'm due to arrive in Kathmandu in the middle of Dashain festival in October 2014, I won't have time to get my trekking permits etc for the Annapurna circuit I plan to do. Any advice on how I could possibly get these ahead of time, to pick up when I arrive in Kathmandu?
    Thanks in advance,

• maros.matousek's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Hi Rob,

Could I please ask if you have any information about the option for taking Jeep/Bus from Kathmandu to Salleri and start EBC trek from Salleri?
    So far, I read that there are jeeps, also bus service daily, the price for jeep ride 3000rupees, 1500 by bus. The ride takes 15 hoursish.

Thank you for your feedback.
    Maros

• maros.matousek's Profile Photo
      Nov 20, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Rob, can you please let me know if Typhus vaccination is really neccessary/needed when trekking to EBC? Im planning to use UV Steripen filter, and not dring bottled water.
      I am not sure If I will manage the vaccination before I leave in 2 weeks, would it be a big issue on EBC trek not to have typhus vacc?

Maros

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I don’t recall having a Typhus vaccination for any of my Nepal trips, whether I still had an effective one pumping around my blood stream from earlier foreign trips, I can’t really be sure !! – So Best Advice I can give hear is to check with your doctor
      Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels
      Rob

into-thin-air Visits Here Frequently!

into-thin-air

“The Best People you Meet, You Meet on the Road !!!”

Badges & Stats in Nepal