"My Love Affair with Nepal" Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal by into-thin-air
Nepal Travel Guide: 4,251 reviews and 11,969 photos
My Love Affair with Nepal started back in 1994 when I bought an old Landrover, put together a small group and drove from Cumbria (UK) to Kathmandu, since then I have returned a further nine times and am Hoping to return soon for trip number Eleven :-)
Since my first visit I have fallen in love with both the country and its people, Nepal is one of the poorest countries in the world, but as little as the people there have, they are nearly always willing to share it with you. So in 2004 I started my own little enterprise, Pro-Tector to try, in my own small way to help.
In the following Pages, Tips and Travelogues below I will attempt to pass on my own experiences in Nepal to try to also encourage and help future visitors to the Beautiful yet sometimes troubled country.
For those interested, my individual trips and top recommendations are written up in the travelogues, In the Nepal Travel Tips Sections I have tried to explain procedures for arriving in Nepal, Ideas for Trekking along with permit requirements and reviews of the different styles available, Rafting on some of Nepal?s Awesome rivers, What to try to see when you are visiting Nepal including the world heritage sites as well as the National Parks, Transportation ideas and options and reviews of hotels and restaurants that I have used plus many other bits and pieces that I think might well be of use to visitors to Nepal.
Nepal is a wonderful country to visit and overall is a very safe destination, the people are some of the nicest that I have met anywhere in the world and the scenery is to die for ? However there are some pitfalls and I have also tried to mention these but if there is something that I have missed or extra information that you require then Please feel free to drop me a line and I will do my very best to answer you.
It is now just over a year since the first of the two major earthquakes hit Nepal on 25 April 2015; this was followed by a second major earthquake on 12th May.
It has taken a Long time for Nepal to recover from these and although it is still easy to see the scars left by these two disastrous quakes, Nepal is once again fully open for Trekking and Tourism.
All the major teahouse trekking routes are now open, but Langtang, the worst hit popular trekking region still has certain paths closed, notably the one between Rimche and Thulo Syabru which trekkers would normally use when combining the Langtang Trek with Helambu by crossing Gosaikund ? These treks can of course sill be combined but you now have to walk around by Syabru Besi ? Also the trekking route into The Langtang Valley is now on the old high level route via Sherpagone (The low level route being part of the closed path)
The Annapurna Region was largely unaffected by the earthquakes and remained open throughout and the Everest region which was effected by the second earthquake is now again fully open.
All the National Parks including Chitwan and Bardia are open as are all the world heritage sites around Kathmandu and the surrounding valley, but the latter have lots of scars in evidence.
Road networks are now fully functioning and air travel is back to the pre earthquake standards and the fuel crisis which also crippled Nepal post earthquake is now at last over ? So Anyone considering visiting Nepal should stop considering and get their flights booked as without the tourist $ once more flowing back into Nepal, the people there will continue to suffer post earthquakes
Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels to One and All
- Pros:Nepal is my Favourite Country -- So anything I could say here would be a bit biased !!!
- Cons:It is True that Nepal does have it's fair share of political problems now -
- In a nutshell:The Diversity of this country will always amaze me, Mountains, National Parks, Rivers to Raft and Wonderful Ancient Cities to visit !!
It?s always difficult to know how much spending cash to advice people who have opted for packaged treks to take as... more travel advice
One of my most endearing memories of my own Annapurna Sanctuary Trek was the story the lodge owner in Bamboo told us... more travel advice
- See All The dangers of not acclimating properly
- See All Ideas for Day Trips from Kathmandu
- See All Service Charges and Taxes
- See All Average Numbers arriving in Nepal
- See All Serving good food for more than 20 years
into-thin-air's Related Pages
Nepal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Love Affair with Nepal"
- "The Himalayan Kingdom"
- "Namaste, Naya Nepal!"
- "..dramatic nepal.."
- "Nepal, A country I have to visit again : and I did"
- "Nepal, Culture & Trekking"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nepal
- Hotels in Nepal
- Transportation in Nepal
- Nightlife in Nepal
- Restaurants in Nepal
- Shopping in Nepal
- Warnings and Dangers in Nepal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nepal
- 366 Reviews
- 1,073 Photos
- 952 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Nepal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nepal
- Posted in Travel Nepal Forum "Re: Reputable Tour Company..."
- Commented on one of into-thin-air's Nepal tips
- updated a Nepal Travel Page "My Love Affair with Nepal"
- Uploaded a Photo to "My Love Affair with Nepal"
- Wrote a Review Spending Money on a Packaged Trek about Trekking in Nepal Sports & Outdoors
- Commented on the Nepal travel guide
- Uploaded a Video to Nepal
Videos in NepalSee All Videos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Intro, 350 reviews, 968 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 127 reviews, 435 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cantabria Intro, 79 reviews, 248 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 58 reviews, 233 photos, 11 travelogues
- England Intro, 38 reviews, 178 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 100 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bilbao Intro, 46 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Catalunya Intro, 30 reviews, 136 photos
- Granada Intro, 40 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zaragoza Intro, 31 reviews, 120 photos