"My Love Affair with Nepal" Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal by into-thin-air

Nepal Travel Guide: 4,068 reviews and 11,090 photos

Overview

My Love Affair with Nepal started back in 1994 when I bought an old Landrover, put together a small group and drove from Cumbria (UK) to Kathmandu, since then I have returned a further nine times and am Hoping to return in the spring of 2015 for trip number Eleven :-)

Since my first visit I have fallen in love with both the country and its people, Nepal is one of the poorest countries in the world, but as little as the people there have, they are nearly always willing to share it with you. So in 2004 I started my own little enterprise, Pro-Tector to try, in my own small way to help.

In the following Pages, Tips and Travelogues below I will attempt to pass on my own experiences in Nepal to try to also encourage and help future visitors to the Beautiful yet sometimes troubled country.

For those interested, my individual trips and top recommendations are written up in the travelogues, In the Nepal Travel Tips Sections I have tried to explain procedures for arriving in Nepal, Ideas for Trekking along with permit requirements and reviews of the different styles available, Rafting on some of Nepal’s Awesome rivers, What to try to see when you are visiting Nepal including the world heritage sites as well as the national Parks, Transportation ideas and options and reviews of hotels and restaurants that I have used plus many other bits and pieces that I think might well be of use to visitors to Nepal.
Nepal is a wonderful country to visit and overall is a very safe destination, the people are some of the nicest that I have met anywhere in the world and the scenery is to die for – However there are some pitfalls and I have also tried to mention these but if there is something that I have missed or extra information that you require then Please feel free to drop me a line and I will do my very best to answer you.

• Pros:Nepal is my Favourite Country -- So anything I could say here would be a bit biased !!!
  • Cons:It is True that Nepal does have it's fair share of political problems now - " But It IS still Safe for the Tourist in My Opinion " !!
  • In a nutshell:The Diversity of this country will always amaze me, Mountains, National Parks, Rivers to Raft and Wonderful Ancient Cities to visit !!
  • Last visit to Nepal: Apr 2010
  • Intro Updated Sep 20, 2013

• Jun 8, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Hi there,

I am travelling to Nepal in Sept for a 19 day trek of EBC and Goyko Lakes. After that, my party of 6 will be leaving Nepal straight away. I have the option of staying on for another 3 weeks or coming back with them. The only downside is it will cost another $1000 to change my flights to travel back 3 weeks later!

Just wondering if it is worth staying on for another three weeks or not considering I will have already been hiking for 19 days previously? If so, where would you recommend visiting? I will be by myself at this point...is there plenty of other people around that I could tag along with?

Also, would you suggest booking in any tours etc now for after the trek, or just wait and take everything as it comes?

Cheers,

Chelsea

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Hi Chelsea
      If you have the chance of an extra 3 weeks in Nepal then if it were me then I would Grab it !! – Even if it does cost you an extra $1000 to change flights
      Besides trekking, Nepal has a lot to offer – Apart from all the world heritage sites, there are things like White Water rafting, National parks like Chitwan and Bardia, Chilling in beautiful hill villages – Or paragliding/ micro-light flights/new zip wire in Pokhara
      Sites like Manakamana are also worth a visit
      I have now been to Nepal 10 times and planning trip 11 next Spring – Average trip length about 7 weeks and even after all this time, I have only Just scratched the surface !!!!!

Good Luck
      PS - For few More ideas of what to see and do then Please browse
      "My Love Affair with Nepal" - Nepal by into-thin-air
      As I have written up a lot of my personal experiences Including landing at Kathmandu, how to get through customs and immigration Quickly, some ideas on Trekking, where to stay, eat, things to see and do + some tips on transport

I think that you might find them useful

• Mar 12, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Hi Rob, I'm will visit Nepal in Apr. Know that we need apply TIMS & ACAP to trek in Poon Hill, any advise how I can get both permit the cheapest way? I got some information that apply via agensi is cheaper, is it true?
    My flight arrive Fri noon and will depart to Pokhara Sat, is it possible to get both permit on Sat when we arrive Pokhara?
    Thanks a lot

• Feb 20, 2014 at 9:33 AM

HI Rob. I'm going to bring a group (10 or so) in advance of a mission trip in November. We're looking to come in early and spend 2-3 days sightseeing around Kathmandu. Any direction appreciated.

Perry

• Feb 20, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Hey thanks. I'll check it out. Right now I see airfare between the US and Nepal running $1000 to $2000 in November. Do you have any thoughts on what fares usually run? Wondering whether a $1200 fare is something to jump on.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Sorry Perry – I live in the UK so have no ideas of prices of airfares from the US to Nepal ;-)
      But having said that $1200 sounds very Cheap !!!

• Feb 13, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Hi Rob...

Planning my third visit to Nepal in October/November. Your various write-ups have been of great use on previous trips - thanks. Would love to trek in the Upper Dolpo region, but reading conflicting advise on whether this is realistic in November due to heavy snowfall on passes. If all went well, I'd expect to go over Jyanta La in the 2nd week of November. Thoughts?

Best wishes,

Dan

• Feb 15, 2014 at 4:05 AM

Thanks Rob....

Suspect I'll end up giving it a go. Used HMA last year around Manaslu/Tsum and was very happy, so will drop Nirmal a line.

Best wishes,

Dan

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:18 AM

Hi Dan – Sound like a Good Plan to me :-)
      Please keep me in the loop to how your plans progress and I look forwards to hearing about your trek on your safe return
      Best Regards

• Feb 12, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Hi Rob,

We are visiting Nepal in March 2014. We are from Sabah, Malaysia. Can we get visitors visa at Kathmandu Airport? and is it easy to get? and how much? we are visiting the foot of mount everest? how far do we have to walk? what is the temperature like in Kathmandu in March?

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:33 AM

No Problem
      The trek to Everest Base Camp usually take about 2 weeks, Kathmandu to Kathmandu.
      Temperatures in March – Daytimes are usually quite warm, but when the sun goes down temperatures plummet, so warm clothes for the evenings are required
      For the rest see
      Nepal Transportation Tips by into-thin-air
      And if you have further questions, drop me a line

Good Luck

• Jan 26, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Hi Rob,
    I'm due to arrive in Kathmandu in the middle of Dashain festival in October 2014, I won't have time to get my trekking permits etc for the Annapurna circuit I plan to do. Any advice on how I could possibly get these ahead of time, to pick up when I arrive in Kathmandu?
    Thanks in advance,

• maros.matousek's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Hi Rob,

Could I please ask if you have any information about the option for taking Jeep/Bus from Kathmandu to Salleri and start EBC trek from Salleri?
    So far, I read that there are jeeps, also bus service daily, the price for jeep ride 3000rupees, 1500 by bus. The ride takes 15 hoursish.

Thank you for your feedback.
    Maros

• maros.matousek's Profile Photo
      Nov 20, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Rob, can you please let me know if Typhus vaccination is really neccessary/needed when trekking to EBC? Im planning to use UV Steripen filter, and not dring bottled water.
      I am not sure If I will manage the vaccination before I leave in 2 weeks, would it be a big issue on EBC trek not to have typhus vacc?

Maros

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I don’t recall having a Typhus vaccination for any of my Nepal trips, whether I still had an effective one pumping around my blood stream from earlier foreign trips, I can’t really be sure !! – So Best Advice I can give hear is to check with your doctor
      Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

• rosata's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Hi Rob! I am a back again gazing at your beautiful photographs always with 'half' a plan in my mind! Fabulous information for all the different trek styles and treks. Thanks for sharing ;-) Lia

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Hi Lia
      You will have to get yourselves to Nepal one day and sample the delights firsthand ;-)
      Meanwhile – If you fancy something a little closer to home (If you are in UK) then I am heading up Great Gable for the Service of Remembrance next Sunday (10th November) if you want to join us
      CU - Rob

• rosata's Profile Photo
      Nov 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM

We leave Sicily tomorrow and will be back at the weekend but sadly we can't be up there by then. Thanks for reminding me and all the best for the hike up Great Gable for the Service of Remembrance; it is coming round faster and faster, time flies! Lia

• Oct 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Hi Rob, awesome site!

I've got a question for you. How much time would you recommend as a lay over for transiting in New Delhi? We also have never set foot in India before.

Also, in your "How do I get from India to Nepal overland?" article you mentioned Sunauli. I've been having trouble finding that magical place on a map (specifically google maps). Is it also called Sukrauli?

Thanks a lot for all the attention you've placed into this site. You make us all proud.

• Jul 1, 2013 at 4:06 AM

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly....perhaps I didn't clarify...I have a few companies that were recommended from here, I don't want to travel solo, I'd rather be with a group, some of the names given to me were The Nepal Hiking Adventure Company, Nepal Visitors, Advanced Adventure, Green Valley Nepal Treks, and more...any of the above stand out to you...not sure I'm allowed to ask you this on a post...hope so...thanks again, need to get on this asap as I want to celebrate my big birthday on the mountain this year.....

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Again – No Problem
      OK – The first thing I should mention is that I Always advocate that you shouldn’t tie yourself down to one agent / guide before arriving in Nepal by paying a hefty deposit, its far better to have a short list of possible agents and then once you arrive, go an meet your trekking staff to ensure that you are 100% happy with them..
      I have compiled a list of questions that you might like to ask your guide in
      "Pro’s & Con’s of hiring your "Staff" from an Agent" - Trekking Tip by into-thin-air
      Afraid I haven’t heard of the other outfits you mention, but that isn’t surprising with over 900 companies now listed with TAAN and probably triple that amount that aren’t
      Good Luck and happy Safe Travels
      Rob

into-thin-air Visits Here Frequently!

into-thin-air

“The Best People you Meet, You Meet on the Road !!!”

Badges & Stats in Nepal