"Limnos -- Island in the Sun !!" Top 5 Page for this destination Limnos Island by into-thin-air

Limnos Island Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 87 photos

Arrival in Limnos.

Having caught the Ferry from Samothraki to Limnos, We arrived at Myrina, the capitol and ferry-port of Limnos just before midnight. The ferry trip had taken just under four hours from Samothraki. So the first task was to find some sort of accommodation for the night, this proved somewhat difficult as by the time we had walked around from the port into the town centre it was well after midnight and as it still wasn't full season a lot of places were either closed up for the night or just closed !!!
We did find a small hotel, not very clean and very noisy but it did us for the night -- Just !!!

Touring the Island

So the next day, after a Poor nights sleep we decided to move on and find somewhere " Nice " to stay for our remaining two nights !! As we were still somewhat overloaded we thought that the best option we had was to hire a car out for the duration of our stay on the Island, apart from it giving us the best chance of touring the Island and finding better accommodation it also made the trip to the airport on our last evening nice and simple as we were able to leave the car there !!
So we spent the Day touring the Island, checking out the Ancient sites and having a good Look around the Island, we eventually opted to stay at Agios Giannis, and a Really Beautiful place that was too !!!!

Touring

We spent the next two nights staying at Agios Giannis and toured the Island from here. Limnos is blessed with miles of deserted sandy beaches, especially south of Moudros, just pick a dirt road and see where it takes you !! The Ancient Sites are well worth a visit and the Natural scenery of the Island is really pretty !!

• Pros:A Beautiful Island, Great Beaches and Ancient Sites and although there is some mass tourism the island isn't exactly overrun with tourists !!!
  • Cons:Not a lot of con's that I can think of ???
  • In a nutshell:Not Nearly as stunning as Samothraki but never-the-less this Island has a charm all of its own !!! Well Worth a Visit !!!
  • Last visit to Limnos Island: Jun 2003
  • Intro Written Jul 20, 2003

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Sounds like a perfect island to visit.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2005 at 10:01 AM

Will have to get here one day. Away from the crowds and touristy Greece. Right up our street.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2005 at 5:15 PM

This sounds like an idyllic spot to me!! I really must get to continental Europe to savour some of these OTBP delights! Great tips and photos!

• wcph's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2005 at 9:00 PM

I haven't heard of this island but now I do. Looks like a good place for a relaxing vacation.

• magdaki's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2004 at 11:57 AM

hi rob, I had exactly the same experience when I arrived at LImnos from Samothraki, only I got to spend all my nights at a "not very clean" hotel in Myrina... still, I loved the island, and hope to be back for more :-) great tips!

• rozehill's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2004 at 2:53 AM

Seems a great getaway destination

• orlikins's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2004 at 3:04 PM

looks lovely!

• Kodi01's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2003 at 9:44 AM

I NEED to see more of Greece, just made it to Athens. Looks like a lovely place! Great greek people, gotta love them!

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2003 at 8:08 PM

So what happened to the White Elephant? Looks great.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2003 at 10:05 AM

Must be a great place to visit ! Nice report

into-thin-air

“The Best People you Meet, You Meet on the Road !!!”

Badges & Stats in Limnos Island

Have you been to Limnos Island?

Latest Activity in Limnos Island